2014 Ballot Initiatives

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Unimane, Nov 3, 2014.

1. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

As the lesser hyped off election cycles concludes tomorrow, I decided to peruse some of the pending ballot initiatives around the country and found some potentially very interesting votes coming up. Some I knew about and some I didn't, but here is an article highlighting some of the best ones:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/govbeat/wp/2014/11/03/where-25-of-tuesdays-most-important-state-ballot-measures-stand/

Some ones I noticed:

1. TN abortion amendment - Another battle in the endless tug of war on the abortion issues. I fully expect this to pass, though I'm not so sure that it will pass muster in the courts.

2. Legalizing weed on the ballot in Alaska, Oregon, Washington DC and Florida with prospects looking like slightly above average to near lock for legalization in all of them. I'm willing to be that weed will be legal in all states in 20 years, similar to the tidal change in same sex marriage.

3. California Prop 47 seems very interesting to me, making drug possession not part of the "three strikes" felony accumulation.

4. All the minimum wage rises, in both red and blue states, looking likely to pass.

5. I'm also very, very intrigued by the idea on the Oregon ballot for making primaries include all potential candidates and the top two, regardless if they are in the same party, going to the main election.

Tennessee on the list twice, too.

2. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

#3 should be passed immediately. In fact, the three strike rule is ultimately retarded, even though I used to agree with it in principle. But now, I believe it has done far more harm than good.

3. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Are Republicans going to take the Senate?

4. NorrisAlan

Oh, and I do not think weed legalization will take 20 years once the states see the tax income they are missing out on plus the prison and police savings they will pocket.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

I think so.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

Colorado has a "personhood" amendment that could make birth control illegal.

7. NorrisAlan

Stupid. It is amazing how these things get worded so harshly so as to make them untenable. Will I go to prison because I had a vasectomy?

8. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

The Florida amendment looked great to pass early on, but now looks shaky to reach the required 60%. I voted for it and really hope it passes.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

No, because the language is all geared toward the female...

10. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

There will be hold outs. Not every state will be able to milk that golden, hemp-fed Holstein.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

The more widespread weed legalization becomes, the better off it will be for us early adopters. So tired of the losers coming here and spending all of their parents' money then living on the street for awhile before going hom.

12. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Alabama is wanting to raid the "rainy day" coffers for some unnecessary something or another. That happens every election.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

More on this: I have really only paid attention to the senate race here. Gardner has schooled Udall in every way imaginable. Gardner has ran as an "every man" who is ready to work across the aisle, affect positive change, etc. Udall has failed to counter this and has thus been left with a label of "Joe Congress." And no one wants Joe Congress.

If one gets into the issues, the choices still come down to the old familiar Left vs Right in which Gardner would come across as very, very far Right. But on the surface, to the casual or independent voter, Gardner is the obvious choice.

And judging from the folksy, honest "well I'm not a scientist" deflection line that has been utilized by GOP candidates across the nation, this is part of a wider general strategy that I expect will be effective.

14. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Republicans will also benefit from two things tomorrow.

1. In a non-presidential election, they have a core set of voters who are more reliable than the ones Democrats need to show up.

2. The sitting president's party, typically, fares poorly in these type of elections.

The only question I have is will the Republicans mistake tomorrow's gains for a sea change in the 2016 election like they did in 2012 for the 2010 mid-terms. They, most likely, will clean up tomorrow, though.

15. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

All I know is I'm voting against wine in grocery stores only because the pro-wine idiots were passing out their Merlot color stickers at the UT/Bama game. I don't care one way or the other, but that just annoyed me.

16. syndicate

syndicate Well-Known Member

I don't like the thought that Tennesseans are going to give the state the power to enact abortion laws as they see fit.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

The electorate is extremely frustrated. If the GOP plays the right tune for the next year, they may well get their sea change. 2008-2010 was a huge missed opportunity by the Dems, who were far too nice and conciliatory. Hopefully they won't make that mistake if the chance comes again.

18. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

GOP is going to get both houses and then you are going to have two solid years of even more stalemate, if that is possible.

19. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

70 percent chance that GOP takes the senate was the last report that I read. Also looks like they'll be adding to their lead in the house as well.

This has been a huge election with no real issues or policies anyone is addressing.

20. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I really don't know if they were too nice or just didn't want the blow back to come back on them down the road.