Assume, for the sake of argument, UT hires Bruce Pearl

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by kidbourbon, Feb 12, 2014.

1. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

The only season Pearl fielded a bad team was a half season. The second half of 2011.

2. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I'm not sure where it goes if BBQGate never happened. 2012 might have been bad.

3. **TDCVOL**

**TDCVOL** Contributor

I'd be excited to watch UT basketball again.

4. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

They played better without him that year.

5. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

His fourth year was pretty much shit.

6. hatvol96

I love when people talk about the "distractions" Pearl's last season. Tark had a million times more shit thrown at him his last few years at Vegas. Didn't see his team curl up in a ball and quit.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

My reaction would be negative. It would reflect very poorly on the character of our school and the leaders of our AD.

8. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

It also reflects poorly on competence. The message is "We can't find someone on our own, so we'll just roll the dice on this guy that had some success before."

9. Bassmanbruno

Bassmanbruno Banned

Why? Schools have hired way worse and compared to Haith at Mizzou, Pearl is basically a saint. And it helps he's loved by ESPN.

10. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Everything our AD and the leaders have done in the last 8 years reflects poorly on them. So, this wouldn't be anything new.

11. dknash

dknash Chieftain

For ESPN so loved the Pearl, they sent the one and only timeline, that whosoever believeth in it might become indignant and inherit the kingdom of feigned outrage.

12. JohnnyQuickkick

It's not so much what Pearll did, but the severe lack of judgment to lie about it and then try to get the Crafts in on his nonsense.

13. kidbourbon

The team went from being good to being really bad, and it happened after the NCAA stuff broke. If you're saying they aren't connected, you're being silly.

And nobody ever said he was Jerry Tarkanian.

14. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

The coverup was worse than the crime. Just revealed what pond scum many already knew he was.

15. kidbourbon

Your second sentence suggests you don't know what competence means. If you replace competence with confidence it makes sense. If I decide to not talk to the cute girl at the bar, and instead opt to go call my ex-girlfriend for some ex sex, that's a decision made because I lacked confidence in my ability to successfully run game on the cute girl at the bar. If I instead go in and talk to the cute girl, and get all nervous and clammy and stuttery, and she walks off as a result, then that's a reflection in my competence.

Also, I don't think you know what "roll the dice" means. When you roll dice, you don't know what you're going to get. That expression would apply more to searching and subsequently hiring a new coach, than it would to hiring Bruce Pearl.

16. hatvol96

First, all the NCAA stuff came out before the season even started. Regradless, if that is what brought them down, then he's a shit coach and that team was full of a bunch of mentally weak children. What did Jim Calhoun do while facing a 'AA inquiry? He won a national title.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

Weird to have to post this here when it has been posted many times by many people, but no one really cares that much about the violation itself. Craft was at his house for a BBQ as a junior. Okay. Bad. Lie about it repeatedly and try to get the prospect and family to lie? Then lie about your self-imposed penalty? Embarrassing and scummy.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

Even the NCAA didn't care about the violation that much in itself.

19. JohnnyQuickkick

exactly

20. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

1. If leadership lacked the confidence necessary to make coaching hires, without just going after retreads leadership would most certainly be incompetent.

2. The Bruce Pearl we hired in 2005 does not necessarily equal the Bruce Pearl of today. If anything, odds are he'd be less successful. So yes, it would be rolling the dice hoping he could repeat history rather than hiring a new guy to write a new chapter. But thanks for just assuming I'm retarded rather than trying to see it from that angle.