Assume, for the sake of argument, UT hires Bruce Pearl

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by kidbourbon, Feb 12, 2014.

1. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

Actually, they probably would have because Pearl, like Kelvin Sampson, was a recidivist violator. He broke the same rule at Milwaukee. The 'AA can deem a minor violation to be major if they find it to be committed with flagrant disregard for the rules. That explains why Pearl was so hellbent to hide it. It's amazing to me that the media refuses to report that piece of the story.

2. Bassmanbruno

Bassmanbruno Banned

If the rule got changed shortly after then the NCAA obviously didnt really care that he did it.

3. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
  4. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Antisemitic, imo.

5. hatvol96

They changed the texting rules. Did that help Sampson any?

6. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

I probably should have looked up the timing. Regardless, I actually don't think we disagree. The situation affected Pearl's coaching job, and that shouldn't have been the case.

7. Bassmanbruno

Bassmanbruno Banned

Still means the rule was stupid and they agreed.

8. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

I think it's just Clay Travis that refuses to report it. ESPN was all over it.

9. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't the show cause end sometime in later summer or fall? If Martin is gone, wouldn't Tennessee just be setting themselves up to get hammered if they hired Pearl in late April or May?

10. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

people have always said whoever hires pearl can petition the ncaa to get it ended. i have to wonder the same, somebody else hiring him might stand a better chance at getting that done. others have said just stick tony jones in as interim until august. much ado about nothing, though

11. hatvol96

You do realize the legislative and investigatory/enforcement arms are totally separate, don't you? Also, if they thought the rule was so stupid, why didn't they give people who had violated it amnesty when they eliminated it?

12. hatvol96

Pearl can petition them himself.

13. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Exactly this.

14. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

it's bassman. to be fair i can't usually resist the trap either.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
  15. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

The 'AA situation no more made Pearl a hypocritical and widely despised piece of shit (he was the whole time, it just exposed him to a wider audience) than such character flaws could be remedied in his re-hiring.

He is what he is, has been, and will always be. I've seen plenty enough to know that he isn't a coach I would accept or support, under any condition.

Just my $.02

16. Bassmanbruno

Bassmanbruno Banned

What? I never said the two parties were the same. Was just making the observation that it was obviously a dumb ass rule.

17. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

It's like a train wreck. Gotta take a peek.

18. adaljohn

adaljohn New Member

Rick Stansbury is a piece of shit.

19. Bassmanbruno

Bassmanbruno Banned

Says the guy who watches baseball, the biggest train wreck of a sport.

20. I would be happy.