Big step toward college football playoff

Discussion in 'Sports' started by VolDad, Apr 26, 2012.

1. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

HOLLYWOOD, Fla. — College football is on the verge of finally having a playoff, its own version of the final four.

For the first time, all the power brokers who run the highest level of the sport are comfortable with the idea of deciding a championship the way it's done from pee-wees to pros. And the way fans have been hoping they would for years.

"Yes, we've agreed to use the P word," Pac-12 Commissioner Larry Scott said Thursday.

They want to limit it to four teams. That's for sure. Now they have to figure out how to pick the teams, where and when to play the games and how the bowls do or do not fit in. The new postseason format would go into effect for the 2014 season.

BCS takes big step toward college football playoff *| ajc.com

2. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Penis?

3. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It's a plus one. If the Rose Bowl doesn't want to get in on it, let them keep their traditional rivalry. Fiesta, Sugar and Orange can all rotate which bowls get the "playoff" and which one gets the title game.

If the Sugar and Orange get the two "playoff" games, the Fiesta gets the NC game.

4. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

I really don't think it's that big of a deal. I think the argument will just shift. So, instead of "so-and-so doesn't deserve to be in the Title game", we'll hear "so-and so doesn't deserve to be in the Final Four."

5. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Been saying this for years. Now #5 and #6 are the guys getting shafted in this criminally unfair system.

6. They'll [uck fay] it up.

7. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

Soon 4 will become 16, and number 17 will [itch bay].

And we probably still won't have a true NCAA champion.

8. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

I dont give a rip about #3. Im completely for this because it has precisely the opposite effect that everyone is afraid it will have. A small playoff magnifies the importance of the regular season by giving heightened meaning to more games. Teams still have very little margin for error, but there will now be dozens of games and scenarios over the last few weeks of the seasom with implications for the national semifinals.

9. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Playoffs don't determine true "champions". They determine who is best at stringing together a few wins in a row at a given point in the year. It also helps when said team gets match-ups that are favorable. College football is the most interesting regular season around precisely because they lack the silliness of a multi-team playoff. Would a plus 1 be the end of the world? Probably not. But plus 1 wouldn't be the end of it and it and that sickens me.

10. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

I agree. the one upside I would see to a big playoff would be the possiblity of an actual "NCAA" champion. Unfortunately, that would probably require a much larger playoff with auto bids and other stuff that would drive me insane.

11. Refugee

Refugee New Member

All you really need to know right here.

12. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

true, but #5 and #6 likely wont have a legit [itch bay] that they should have a chance at the championship. in this model every truly screwed team (SC 03, Auburn 05, even boise) will get in.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

There is a fundamental difference in someone having a beef about not making the "top 4" or whatever, and someone having a beef that they are the outright champion. I don't get that argument. There is a clear improvement in the situation.

Let's look at Basketball. Any one of the 1 seeds has an argument that they were the best team in the country most years. But do the 2 seeds? No. Usually they have an argument for being in the discussion with the one seeds, but not being the dominant team themselves. Folks could talk about Kentucky vs North Carolina. They couldn't include Duke with a straight face in that discussion. That is the difference between a 4 team playoff vs a single championship game.

Of course there will still be [itch bay]ing and controversy. It's sports. But the champion will be more legitimate, not more contentious.

14. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

You "clear improvement" comment worries me. Many people will see the 16 teams as a clear improvement as well, simply because a few less schools get "screwed".

15. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

It won't be any more legitimate. What we'll have now is a couple SEC teams and a Big 10 Team and a Pac 12/Big 12 Team in there that have no business on the field with either of the SEC teams, and then we'll get to hear why Boise State is getting hosed and the BCS discriminates against the little guy.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

If that is how it plays out, those complaints will be right.

17. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I am rather worried about that happening, Law. I'd say the consolation will be Boise getting in every three or four years, getting destroyed, then everyone not caring about them for a couple of years or so until the beatsdown is forgotten.

18. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

boise would have gotten in the last couple of times they went undefeated assuming we go by bcs ranking. and yes them getting spanked would put the end to all the arguments.

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

So let them get spanked. To me, it does seem rather obvious the NCAA/BCS is very, very biased towards BCS conferences to the point of non-BCS conferences might as well dropping down to FCS.

20. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

With the way scheduling and conferences are I'd argue it would be kind of stupid for it not to be biased that way.