Bigger Concern: Offensive Line or Defensive Speed?

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by tvolsfan, Sep 18, 2011.

1. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

He was coached to do it that way.

2. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

I think he's a ILB

3. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

Austin is manning the middle.

4. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

i.e. AJ is out of position. IMO

5. vol_in_ar

vol_in_ar Member

don't if I would call what we did against Florida as running the ball, 212 attempts and negative 9 yards

6. VOLinDAWGland

VOLinDAWGland Contributor

Will be interesting to see what happens when Lathers returns. We'll need his speed and experience on the field.

7. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

Not sure if it's their speed I'm concerned with, but the defense certainly concerns me more than the offensive line. We have been out of position way too often. Bray is good enough to overcome our shortcomings in the running game, but I don't know that we can stop teams consistently.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

Those of you thinking the defense was the biggest problem on Saturday, I recommend reading the recap article on the front page.

9. hallowed_hill

The defense responded well in a tough situations, but they can't get a pass for the opening drive or the rainey td reception. At some point, big plays aren't just an aberration. I hope our defense can be better than mediocre, but I don't expect it. Our offense will be fine. 6,7,or 8 wins will probably come down to special teams.

10. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Our offense will be fine, sure. But we needed them to be fine Saturday, and they weren't. We knew going in that passing the ball was far and away this team's best feature. And yet, we chose to not focus on that in the first half and put up a big fat wad of nothing on the scoreboard. We had a realistic chance to win a huge, early career-defining type game for Dooley, and completely blew it.

11. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Our offense will be fine, sure. But we needed them to be fine Saturday, and they weren't. We knew going in that passing the ball was far and away this team's best feature. And yet, we chose to not focus on that in the first half and put up a big fat wad of nothing on the scoreboard. We had a realistic chance to win a huge, early career-defining type game for Dooley, and completely blew it.

12. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

And WTF is Greg King?

I'm getting tired of asking that.

13. hallowed_hill

Agree the offense blew it Saturday. I put a lot of that on the coaching staff. It took them about four possessions to realize we're still allowed to try after Hunter went out. Is the offensive line a big concern? Sure. But I still maintain that our defense is the bigger concern going forward. I'm more concerned about stopping people than scoring points.

14. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

Defense stood strong when they didn't have much of the field to defend. When Florida had room to spread us out and run away from us, that's exactly what they did, especially early.

15. hallowed_hill

I was wrong. I can admit it. I said defense was the bigger concern, and while they have confirmed many of my fears, the offensive line is simply atrocious. Never seen a team get swarmed in the backfield every single run like we do. And find a new center now. This is experiment should be over. It failed. Move on.