biggest game since???

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by CardinalVol, Sep 16, 2011.

1. justingroves

justingroves supermod

This is the first time the talent level between UF and Tennessee seems comparable since hell 2006.

2. justingroves

justingroves supermod

True and that's worse than losing to UGA

3. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

1. I don't think they are quite comparable yet;
    2. I'm not sure comparable talent means a bigger game. We've had several comparable talent games over the past few seasons that just sort of sucked.

Again, there was a ton of hype and excitement going into Oregon last year. That was a big game right up until the point that they started running us out of our own stadium. I just don't see this as any bigger than several other games we've had over the years going into it if you compare it to going into them.

4. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Huge IP? To what end?

5. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

It would get that effin Gator off our back. I think it would be huge for the team. Going into the UGA game at 4-0, who knows how the rest of the season could play out. A 5-0 start would be very possible with LSU coming into town.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

Perception of the program nationally, and on the recruiting trail. Dooley and friends desperately need signature wins in order to get those elite prospects. Nationally, Tennessee is more and more be cast in the light of a former super power that is now just another SEC also-ran. We are Kentucky South. Diet Georgia. South Carolina's little neighbor over the mountains. Beat Florida, and that perception begins to change.

7. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

It helps, but it doesn't seem any bigger than any other games against good teams. It would be a step in the right direction and that's where we need to be. Big games to me are those that have larger implications.

8. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

I think the program is heading in the right direction. With that said, the game is bigger for the fan base. Those that are on the fence suddenly buy in, all in. They get curbstomped and you get the "same ole Vols" shtick.

The direction of the program is moving towards what we all want and this game won't have that much bearing on it one way or the other.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

BPV- Can you give me an example of what you mean? It doesn't have to be a Tennessee game.

10. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Is it Saturday yet?

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

Almost. I'm pretty worried. It's almost like I subconsciously think I have to play the game or something.

12. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

In 2001, with a team capable if bigger things, like conf title or national title, they're big games. Otherwise, a loss just changes locale of bowl game.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

I see. We beat Florida, and winning the East is not out of the question. That seems like a big deal.

14. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

No argument, but the rest of my point was that our D doesn't make that reality for me, so I don't see this as the catalyst to there. Others have easier schedules to boot.

15. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I hear you IP. This may not be that big of a game when compared to UT's history, but it is huge for these players and the fanbase. We have been wandering through the wilderness so to speak for too long. A good showing would do a great deal for these young players. I am no fan of moral victories, but I don't think we HAVE to win this game. Play well and we will know there is light at the end of the tunnel. Get routed and we might realize that light is an oncoming train.

Big game, big rivalry, and a national audience doesn't make this a make or break game. It does make it a statement game in regard to the what the near future of the program will look like. I have a wait and see attitude with CDD, but I will say that I like what I have seen out of him to this point. I just hope he can win.

16. justingroves

justingroves supermod

So this week's perfect part pretty much nailed it?

(I kid I kid)

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

I hear ya, BPV. I think I am just thinking smaller than you.

18. JayVols

Just went and read it. It was pretty spot on as to what I was trying to say. Yes, I would say you nailed it.

Just don't break your arm patting yourself on the back. (I kid as well)

19. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Just now read it? I'm disappointed in you

20. JayVols

I've been busy stamping out ignorance. It won't happen again. Apologies.