Butch Jones Staffing and Recruiting Thread

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by volfanjo, Dec 7, 2012.

1. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Just a few things from snooping around the web.

Possible for Butch Jones to bring a few guys from Cincy's staff, particularly def. cord. John Jancek, formerly a LB coach at UGA.

There is also a connection to Brian van Gorder out there, who I believe currently is unemployed.

Some talk that he will pursue Tee for a spot on the staff.

Some talk about who will stay on the offensive side (Graham, Hinsham, Pittman?) Obviously Graham and Hinshaw will have good offers to go elsewhere.

-----

For recruiting, some current recruits already familiar with Jones because he has been recruiting them to Cincy (Reeves-Maybin, Jalen Hurd). Apparently, Jones has some name recognition among coaches in Nashville and they have been working Florida hard too.

Saw a tweet from Todd Kelly, Jr. where he liked the hire, but couldn't verify if he said it, or a retweet or what not.

Feel free to use this thread to post updates as you find them, or wish to divulge.

2. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

What are the chances of him hiring some big names to make this less depressing?

3. dknash

dknash Chieftain

UGA rejects sounds about up our alley.

4. Nucvol

Nucvol Member

Is Jones and offensive or defensive guy? I would feel better if he got a commitment from Hurd.

5. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

6. Snakeonia

Snakeonia Active Member

oh yes, Cincy's d coordinator who has had crap defenses. awesome

7. Gator H8R

Gator H8R Member

Im still not awake yet. COuld one of you pinch me real quick. ****ing depressing.

8. govols74n

govols74n New Member

Pig Howard tweeted that Jones was one of his top 5.....TF?

9. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Whew, Im glad that we were in the same recruiting circles as Cincy for him to be familiar with our recruits. Awesome.

10. ThunderGoodOil

ThunderGoodOil New Member

Sentimore???

11. salutethehill

salutethehill Member

12th overall in Points Against this year. Compare that to ours.

12. ben4vols

ben4vols Contributor

Great, we are going to switch to running the spread now? LOL. I'm sure that will keep Nick Saban up late trying to game plan for. This is an awful hire from top to bottom. Our defense needs serious work after the clusterduck that was the 3-4 experiment then switching back mid-season. Now our offense is going to be learning a new system as well. All that against a tough schedule. This guy will be lucky to win 6 or 7 games next year and there will be some bad blowouts mixed in there. The fan base's apathy is already running high, what do you think it will be like next year when this joker running the spread gets the hell beat of him over and over again?

We signed him for 6 years??? We are so screwed.

13. dknash

dknash Chieftain

Wait, now you're asking the AD to make a strategic hire? This fanbase and their expectations...

14. ben4vols

ben4vols Contributor

Our Ath. Dept. has become a joke. Our new state of the art football complex to bring in top coaches and players looks like a big joke now too.

15. Snakeonia

Snakeonia Active Member

and are you even remotely saying that the competition was close to being equal?

16. Nucvol

Nucvol Member

Looking at the QB's offers,Tennessee would be an upgrade on his offers, I guess.

17. Low Country Vol

Low Country Vol Contributor

From ESPN.

Todd Kelly Jr. (Knoxville, Tenn./Webb) was an attentive listener this morning to sports talk radio in Knoxville. That's how he learned Butch Jones would be the next coach at Tennessee.

"I think that he has a lot of work to do," the ESPN Watch List prospect said about Jones, who was hired from Cincinnati. "He needs to get a good coaching staff around him to compete in the SEC."

18. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

He has to land all of the legacies next year. Berry, Berry, Kelly Jr, and Bates. That is a must.

19. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Hell, just having those guys would be a phenomenal start to turning this thing around.

We should throw money at Chavis for DC.

20. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

Would be an impressive haul for a 4-8 football team.