Coaching and Youth Sports

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by cotton, Mar 25, 2013.

1. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

Water and goldfish. These kids are going to have to show some improvement before I bring out the fine china.

2. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I resemble that remark.

3. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Not even on a "tall" day.

4. JayVols

They really like the Little Hugs Juice drinks as well as the Kool-Aid squeezebottles. If you have those, I might come help you.

5. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Water makes you weak, kid. When you can hit that 0-2 back door slider over the second baseman's head, we'll talk fluids.

6. cotton

2 games in--we had 1 rainout--and we are good. It's a hell of a lot of fun, and I think the kids are enjoying it as much as I am.

If we keep improving, by the end of the season we will be ready for the tee ball world series. Is it in Omaha?

7. JayVols

Glad you are enjoying it. I had a blast last night, too. I got to sit in my folding chair and watch my youngest daughter's softball practice.

8. cotton

Bump.

Playing in fall leagues here. For some reason, they changed our team. I now have to switch from wearing horrible Cardinals gear to horrible Pirates gear. At least I can have the kids huddle up, put their hands in the middle, and shout "Aaarrrrrggggghhhh!" before taking the field.

I also have two kids that are very difficult. I'm pretty sure one doesn't speak a word of English, and the other just runs absolutely wild. The parents of both are no help. I decided at the last practice that if they wanted to leave the field and go throw dirt on each other under the bleachers, that it was probably best for everybody involved if I just let them do it.

We are also playing soccer, but I can't coach both. Let's just say that the lady who is coaching is less interested in trying to try and organize the mass chaos that is the normal state of ten 3-4 year olds than I am. Should have known I was in trouble when she told me that the reason she's coaching is that it allows her to set the practice schedule around her other interests. Anyway, soccer sucks.

9. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

[video=youtube;k_K1cdP2beI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_K1cdP2beI[/video]

10. CardinalVol

And cotton had explained one reason why i want to coach my kids.

11. cotton

Yeah. I will either know who is coaching in advance and be comfortable with them or coach myself in the future, regardless of sport. Soccer is just a waste of time.

12. CardinalVol

That sucks. I was on a fall league baseball team like that one time. The coach was awful.

I'll just be an assistant with soccer when he is younger and then if he shows he actually wants to continue I'll start to learn about it. Of course, that's just me too. If I am going to be around it, I want to know every last detail about it.

13. limpleg

limpleg He gone. No, really.

1st year in 9 that I am not coaching a fall sport with one of my boys on the team. Wife doesn't want to sit by me because she thinks I'm going to be mumbling and questioning everything the coaches are doing.

14. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

I've said repeatedly that I will not coach my children. My dad didn't. He gave instruction at home only when I asked. Dude knows the game, but just never inserted himself unless asked. That's how I want to be. But shit, we are so different. I'm still saying I won't. Just hope I can stand by my word.

15. limpleg

you won't be able to sit because there will be dad's coaching that are clueless. In baseball last year, I took over the whole thing. First practice, the coach was hitting kids in the nuts and head at bp. Then he is so unaware and unorganized, kids are swinging bats everywhere. First practice I felt like I needed to get out and help I caught 2 bats that were about to contact faces on backswing or follow thru. You know how it is when you see stuff happening before it happens. Wife calls me the matrix sometimes and some on here are the same way. Where I see something about to happen, clueless dads don't.
    In flag, the coach was a vandy fan wearing his vandy shit and I was trying to sit and watch. He knew nothing about flag. Even practiced going "on 2" for no reason. We got beat 32-6 and 28-0. Then he had to leave for the week and I told the asst coach I would run it if he wanted and we won 24-6, just by simply putting kids in the right spots. Parent revolt led to him handing over the keys. One thing I did though that I wish I didn't was that I tried to not play favoritism to my sons and actually played them less in spots where they were good just to not be that dad that plays his son too much. I did the opposite.
    Long winded, but in summary, you'll go nuts and end up greatly helping out or taking over. Never seen a coach have to pull himself from coachpitch kids baseball game, but it happened to him twice last year. I go in and throw darts at their bats after seeing a hard practice swing and kids start killing the ball.

16. CardinalVol

I'm not even going to pretend i can just sit there.

17. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

Thank you!

18. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

I've sit through games and not said a word to an umpire or official as a spectator. That NEVER happens in a game I'm coaching. I'm hoping it translates with watching my kids.

19. limpleg

my son is playing on a bigger soccer field now with goalie's, so it's not the little kid no keeping score stuff. I like it for him. No more tackle football for my boys and little Jake is running his ass off in soccer and his agility/footwork is getting better just from running and playing.

20. limpleg

One more example from baseball. My little one is the athlete of my 3. It's as if all athletic skill for my older 2 was given to him. He could hit and throw from day 1. I come out to practice a little late and he is throwing like he is holding a grenade because the coach told him to reach way back with his arm straight. Then in the batter's box, the coach adjusted everything from head to toe and Jake looked like he had never swung a bat before and coach had put his hands so high they were over his head. That was all I could take. He went from being able to hit 1B from short at age 6 and hit it on the fly to the grass, to looking like a special needs kid in 10 minutes of practice with a bad coach.