Copyright LOL

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by kidbourbon, Mar 19, 2015.

1. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

2. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

HAHAH, did you hear the daughter's comments after the verdict?

*all while crying, mind you*

"I feel free...free from Thicke's chains."

w.

t.

f.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

GREAT article. Thanks for sharing. Everyone stands on the shoulders of the previous generation.

4. kidbourbon

And there may be infinitely many ways to arrange a song, but unless a song is one of those "wow, I've never heard anything that sounds like that before" songs*, it's gonna be in the ballpark of another song. This is a really terrible precedent, and I hope Thicke appeals.

*It's really cool when you hear a totally unique song -- bombs over baghdad in 2001 comes to mind....I'd never heard anything that sounded like that...my mind was blown -- but it's a ridiculously high bar, is not articulable as a standard, and even if it were, would be a ridiculous way to think about copyright.

5. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

whhaaaaa

"the jury was not presented with the two recordings in question to determine the extent to which they’re similar. "

6. kidbourbon

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

For the record, I don't think they're even that similar. No more similar than two songs that come out in the same year can be.

8. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

It is a completely ludicrous lawsuit. I imagine Gaye's daughter is simply trying to milk her poor dead daddy for every plug nickel she can get. The copyright laws in the USA are too strong anyway. It takes forever (and seems to constantly get pushed out, ad infinitum) for anything to go into the public domain.

9. justingroves

justingroves supermod

My name is mud is like that for me.

10. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Completely disagree with this decision. Melody is the real intellectual property not a sound, vibe, etc.

Sam Smith, on the other hand, owes Tom Petty almost every cent he's ever made.

11. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

[youtube]oOlDewpCfZQ[/youtube]

12. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

So I kissed him upside the cranium w/ an aluminum baseball bat

13. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Wow.

"Theirs goes ding ding ding digga ding ding. Mine goes ding ding ding digga ding ding, tch. They're not the same. That tch makes them different."

-Rob Van Winkle

14. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Sailing on the Seas of Cheese was boss back in the day.

I'm a Jerry Was a Race Car driver fan.

15. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

eh, the first 2 lines of that melodic idea are the same, but the rest aren't. it's a different song. there's only so many ways you can put notes together. this just gets into a lot of murky ground

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

That is thing: how many ways can you put a limited of notes together that is pleasing to the ear? It isn't infinite for sure, and the "pleasing" part limits things quite a bit.

17. snoball5278

snoball5278 Contributor

that was great theatre.

18. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I like The Toys Go Winding Down

19. kidbourbon

well not anymore. Now that Petty is listed as co-writer.

20. kidbourbon

It has to be infinite.

If it isn't infinite, then there will be a point when there will be no more songs to write. Which is silly.