COVID-19 (artist formerly known as Wuhan strain novel Corona virus)

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Jan 28, 2020.

1. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

They must have conveniently forgotten all that rugged individualism shit they've thrown in everyone's faces for years.

[​IMG]

2. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

So can I go and take your place?

NorrisAlan, IP and JayVols like this.
  3. CardinalVol

When resources are scarce, you have to make decisions. Being unvaccinated seems to be the easiest solution for me.

Devil's advocate in my asks what about people who are there with issues that being healthy would solve? Why do they get a free pass?

4. JayVols

My answer to the satan's proponent question would be that people who make unhealthy decisions unrelated to COVID aren't spreading their clogged arteries to others. An argument could be made against smokers. I'll cede that example. Heavy drinkers aren't spreading their cirrhosis. Also, the non-COVID unhealthy decision folks aren't ending up in hospitals in sufficient numbers to cause care to be withheld from the population of entire states. Take away the unhealthy decisions group & those beds are filled with unvaccinated COVID cases & the problem remains. Take away unvaccinated COVID patients & there is no availability of care crisis.

I don't think your question was invalid at all. We do bear responsibility for our actions, but the impact of those non-COVID decisions on the ability of others to receive the care they need pale in comparison.

cpninja likes this.
  5. CardinalVol

Oh, unvaccinated are easily #1 in my book, just the hypothetical of if there is someone healthy that is sick versus someone sick and has not taken care of self - what do you do? More hypothetical and just being devil's advocate.

JayVols likes this.
  6. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

We death paneling in here and no one invited me?

NorrisAlan and JayVols like this.
  7. JayVols

I'm with you/understood your point.

8. JayVols

Death paneling like a lipstick clad pitbull of a hockey mom in 2008.

9. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I say Melungeons are pretty high up on the "well, we don't have room" list.

CardinalVol likes this.
  10. JayVols

They suck pretty bad.

NorrisAlan likes this.
  11. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

The unvaccinated are causing a breakdown of our health care system. People making poor lifestyle choices (diet, drinking, smoking, etc.) aren't causing those same problems. That's the difference, for me.

Daddy Gee, JayVols and NorrisAlan like this.
  12. IP

IP Super Moderator

smoking, obesity, etc already affects likelihood of recovery and thus is incorporated in triage considerations, all else being equal the healthy person gets the treatment.

13. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

disagree a little here. Obesity, high bp, bad heart, bad lungs due to it. Liver damage due to alcohol and the cost of alcohol treatment. Those things and others cost the system a lot, and do you think the other 90% of hospital beds not used by covid patients don't have the types of patients you listed taking up their rooms? I wish everyone would get vaccinated so that's not what I'm arguing. Healthcare would be cheaper for all of us if nobody made poor choices.

14. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Heard today that HCA Healthcare isn't requiring their employees to get vaccinated and is using it as a way to scoop up talent. As other hospitals and healthcare systems begin letting employees go for refusing to get vaccinated, HCA is going to have no problem getting fully staffed.

It's an interesting mix of smart a diabolical.

15. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

What on earth are you talking about?

I get in my car almost every day for work knowing that there's a small chance I could die in a car wreck that day. But because that chance is small, I also don't believe that I will die in a car wreck that day.

A lot of unvaccinated people are using the same line of thought, and it's perfectly rational. Hell, even vaccinated people use this line of thought. You can die, even if you're vaccinated. Guess everyone should just lock themselves away from the world.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

US car crash deaths annually: 38,000.

US COVID deaths this year so far: 305,000. Last year: 375,000.

Imagine if there were 1 or 2 single actions you could do, WITHOUT changing your behavior driving-wise, that made you virtually unkillable in a car crash. Imagine then arguing it was rational not to take that action because you probably won't be in a fatal crash, and then multiply it by 10. That's vaccine denial.

HCKevinSteele, JayVols and utvol0427 like this.
  17. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

1 in 500 Americans have died from COVID in 1.5 years: That will never happen to me.

1 in multi million chance of adverse reaction to vaccine: I'm not comfortable with the risk.

18. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

So got a second ID Now this morning, negative. Hope to have the full PCR result in the next 48 hours. Part of me wonders if my sample got mixed up with someone else. If I'm PCR negative that's what I'll believe. If not, I guess I have to accept it.

JayVols and IP like this.
  19. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Good to have that negative.

20. JayVols

If Bill Frist is still involved with HCA, I'm not surprised.

I see lawsuits in the future if non-COVID patients get infected from unvaccinated hospital staff. Don't know if they'd be successful, but I see them coming.