Defensive Line

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Lexvol, Sep 8, 2021.

1. Lexvol

Lexvol Super Moderator

So how long has it been since UT had two legit you g SEC d tackles? Terry and Simmons appear to be the real deal.

This thought came about watching Clempson…even though the played good d, I think they are showing signs of missing Dan Brooks.

2. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Tuttle and McKenzie comes to mind, but they were strapped to the dumbest sack of shit to ever coach here.

3. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Yeah, that's a good "on paper" answer.

PilotFlyingJ likes this.
  4. IP

IP Super Moderator

but in terms of feeling the results and seeing it affect games, we might be talking early to mid 2000's

5. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Another long string of people under [uck fay]nut that are playing in the NFL but you wouldn't know they existed in college football.

6. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Mahelona, McDaniel and McBride

This was only for a few games but Montori Hughes and Dan Williams

Memtownvol and warhammer like this.
  7. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Simmons was dominant at times Thursday

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

I don't think many humans could block him one on one. he was destroying bgu double teams.

9. justingroves

justingroves supermod

He's low and quick. He's going to give everyone fits at times

10. Lexvol

Lexvol Super Moderator

Not intended to slight McKenzie but that was worse than C Donald for me.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

looking at Pitt's o line, we will find out a lot about this d line saturday. Pitt is as large as anybody on the o line.

Volokie and Lexvol like this.
  12. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

jeff tullis and whoever was next to him

13. justingroves

justingroves supermod

He stayed hurt but played well at times. Donald never saw the field

InVolNerable likes this.
  14. Lexvol

Lexvol Super Moderator

I agree it’s not defensible…just a bigger kick to the gut. Lol

InVolNerable and justingroves like this.
  15. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Chris Donald. What a flashback

TennTradition likes this.
  16. Volokie

Volokie Active Member

Yep, we found out.

17. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

You know it's been a bad stretch when I can't figure out which of 3 different coaches you're talking about here. Honestly don't remember which one they played for.

IP likes this.
  18. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Donald was the kid who just couldn't mentally adjust to everyone around him being as good as him. He's exhibit A of why I understand when coaches are hesitant to offer kids from small schools.

justingroves likes this.
  19. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

Honestly, and gonna sound like more of a douche than I mean to, but why are you here? You're as casual a fan as a casual's girlfriend.

The Dooz, justingroves and IP like this.
  20. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

... lol wut? Here as in the board, or here as in the football forum specifically?

I've been an avid UT fan since I was like 6 years old. I've lurked on UT message boards since I was like, 14, and posted on them regularly since I was 16 (2008). I've got like, a combined 35,000 posts on UT message boards in that 13 year period. I used to fake sick in high school on National Signing Day just so I could go home and keep up with UT's signing class. I used to be able to name at least half of the incoming high school players that weren't even at UT yet, as well as every single player on the team. In 2012, as a poor college student, I drove like, 8 hours overnight to make it in time for Gameday when we played Florida, dropped like, $200+ I couldn't afford on tickets (thanks again, @lylsmorr ), and then drove 8 hours back overnight, risking death by falling asleep at the wheel after getting a grand total of 4 hours of sleep over a 48+ hour period (1 of which came in a seat at TBA during open practice).

I'm the polar opposite of a casual. But then I became an adult, and at some point along the way, UT stopped giving a shit about winning, or even being competitive. And a man can only take so much.

I don't remember the exact date or the exact event that caused me to stop spending money on all things UT, but there was a multiple year period of that. I think I ended that and bought a couple shirts during the Pruitt era because I felt like at least we were trying, with Fulmer as AD and a guy who at least seemed like a football coach leading the team (how naïve of me). But I still haven't been to a football game since that Florida game because I don't think they deserve my money. I won't even go to a basketball game because of how badly they've mishandled football (the exception being one game with the fiancee because she got free tickets and wanted to go). Hell, I spent money to go see Grant Williams play as a Celtic but wouldn't spend money to go see him play in orange. That's how anti-UT I've been during the last 10ish years.

It's just not worth it for me to commit time and energy to UT football/sports when UT won't commit anything to being good or competitive. So here I am.