Did We Decide The LSU Game...

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by hatvol96, Oct 5, 2011.

1. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

That works for me, Hat.

2. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Beech. Look forward to meeting you, bro.

3. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

I won't be able to make it in for the LSU game - but I've decided to come down this weekend for the Georgia game. If activities be planned before the game, let me know. I'll be available from 1:30 or so on. I won't be able to do much of anything after the game because I have to get up Sunday morning to make the drive back to Michigan. But, Saturday afternoon - I'm game.

4. WM

WM Active Member

That drive back to Michigan is a [itch bay].

5. TennTradition

It's not as bad as the one back to Boston - but it's certainly not a day in the park. I enjoy driving, but on a tight turnaround it can be a bit rough.

6. Vader

Vader New Member

Not at all. I am coming in solo and will likely be hanging with family most of the time. I am probably going to be at a tailgate pre-game, but since I will be a guest of theirs it would be presumptuous of me to invite others.

So just to be clear, you read the PMs here and then publicly comment on their contents?

7. TennTradition

8. WM

WM Active Member

9. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

If you are concerned you could always use the pms on toos…. Oh wait!.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2011
  10. =rpvol=

=rpvol= Member

this thread just got kicked up a notch!!

emeril1_t290.jpg

11. =rpvol=

=rpvol= Member

I''ll be at the GA game sat. i am not sure what all i have going on yet but if there is a 8th outing, let me know. i could definitely stop by and have a cold one or 3.

12. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

It's curious that a VN mod wouldn't know that PM's could be accessed / read by admins, especially considering that you guys suspended PM's on VN because such was being used for "spamming" (read: members telling others about this site). How did you believe that this was discovered, and how certain people were banned (presuming the dart board method failed)? I assume you believe it was equal parts intuition and witchery.

Of course they're accessible. You'd have to be a fool or reliant upon the naivete of others to purport otherwise, for any length of time (much less eight years or so). Just as Google can access your GMail. Or Facebook can read your private conversations (heads up: they don't just publicly comment on things, they sell your shit to others).

As a rule, neither myself nor any other mods seek out PM's (you can only read so many love-sick poems between NYY and VolDad, I suppose). Is this because of some over-arching deference to the (fictitious) sense of privacy that some believe that the interwebz provides? No, not really. Then why? Because by and large, we don't give a shit to know, and unless something looks suspicious or is flagged, we have neither the time nor inclination to do so. You see, in stark contrast to other sites, we aren't limited by some poorly conceived and arbitrarily enforced sense of linguistic morality here (that, and we won't ban people for daring to frequent other sites, would be a second differentiation), meaning, we don't worry about what members are saying to one another via PM......because they're welcome to say it publicly, and not forced to do so privately.

In your particular instance, and which you conveniently failed to mention in your post, while working with our programmers on changing some admin settings, one of your PM's was mistakenly deleted (it happened to be the first, or most recent PM on the list). Rather than quietly leaving the mistake alone, with no one being the wiser, I feared that either you or your recipient would find that it has been deleted and fear that some nefarious action had been taken against either of you, and that it was maliciously - and secretly - deleted. Knowing that some sites employ just such nonsensical see-no-evil-hear-no-evil-strategies when faced with problems between admins / mods and members, and in hopes of avoiding any hint of that, I sent you (the sender) a PM, which not only noted the accidental deletion, but asked if you would prefer that I simply attempt to re-send it myself, on your behalf, or if you would prefer to do so. In fact, I even acknowledged contacting you directly, in order to prevent any hint of impropriety (I believe I invoked, "shenanigans"). Later, I posted an account of the situation on the Super Mod board (there's a board where only mods can post?!? The conspiracy grows!), just to make them aware of the situation, or in the event that you inquired about it, and I was unavailable. I then copied the text of your PM (they could have accessed it, anyway, just as I explained earlier), to prevent its inadvertant deletion, and for them to send at your direction, should you wish for them to do so. In response, someone mentioned that the tail-gating location which you mentioned was the same spot where the VN brain trust typically assembles, and I mistakenly assumed that this is what you intended, and not a family gathering, as you have now stated.

You took my inquiry as to an invite seriously (there is no font for tongue-in-cheek) and responded this morning that it was a family gathering, and that you might catch up with us to grab a beer (I drink wine coolers, thank you).

As a joke, and in concluding the PM to you, I mentioned if others were also invited to the tailgate party. That joke carried into this thread, where I made no mention of your PM, whatsoever, but only that VN was doing something, and that you, a VN mod who frequents this site, may know more. Just as I was wont to do on VN when someone would ask about Sab's favorite deli, and I would refer them to BPV.

So, I do apologize for this, again, and hope that you can see that no conspiracy is underfoot. At least that I will admit to (insert menacingly evil laugh track here).

13. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

Damn well said and verbose as [uck fay], as per usual.

14. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

For the record, I do not read PMs. Not even the ones sent to me. Go ahead, send me one. Guarantee I won't read it. Too busy closin' deals and makin' mad stacks.

15. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

I laughed.

16. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I'm pretty sure I can't read other people's PMs.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

Pretty sure only admins can read pm's. Don't know for sure, that sort of thing is above my pay grade.

18. Vader

Vader New Member

The mods on VN could not access PMs. I assume Freak can, but he never comments on them, not even in the mod forum.

My reply predated me reading and replying to your PM. I was just a little surprised that you would publicly comment on the contents of a PM not even explicitly sent to you, in jest or otherwise.

A simple "Yes" would have saved you a lot of typing.

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

20. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

Yet, OWB had no problem getting his hands on a bunch of personal information to spew his idiocy over here. I guess I can take your post to confirm what I initially thought, which was he was sent over here by VN folks who do know me. Makes me even more comfortable in my decision to leave. In fact, if all evidence I was ever there isn't gone in a week or so, I'm going to rethink my initial position and consider making some phone calls to my old friends in Bristol and see what they think about people running a site under the banner of being one of their affiliates behaving in such a manner.