DIY Construction Advice Thread

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by fl0at_, Oct 26, 2011.

1. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I've heard they're not baahd.

2. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

You should be fine with getting the Cub. As long as you stay away from John Deere.

3. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Yeah. I'm open to putting in a secondary system if it's not too expensive and would actually work. I know the problem is the Tankless isn't centrally located so I get the extremes. If there was a way to constantly cycle water through the pipes, I think it would have the desired effect.

4. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Wouldn't it lose the efficiency of a tank-less water heater if you were cycling it though to have a supply of hot water.

5. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Yeah that's my big hesitation. I've heard people mentioned a supposed closed loop system that keeps the water in the pipes around room temperature so you dont start from ice cold when you start the water, but I'm skeptical and can't find anything that resembles what was described. Was hoping I'd find a magic pill in here.

6. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

I've owned a Murray, Sears and two summers ago I bought a John Deere. Absolutely love the John Deere. I mow hilly to almost flat acre.

7. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I've done that on big commercial buildings. It may be cheaper to get another tankless installed closer to the kitchen

8. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Better equip. Pray it dont break.

9. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Can you point me to the types systems you've installed? I'm curious to see what they are. Buying an additional tankless and having to run another natural gas line to it seems like more trouble and expense than I'm looking for. It looks like I'll probably ending up living with it. Sucks for the guests needing to take a shower on the other side of the house.

10. justingroves

justingroves supermod

The re circulation pumps can get expensive.

http://www.gothotwater.com/

There's a link to the standard recirculating pumps.

Another thing is make sure your hot water line is insulated.

11. justingroves

justingroves supermod

You could rig up an electrical insta heat on the hot water line going to the shower too. They're used in big buildings on bathroom sinks. That's a cheap option if you've got electricity close

12. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Thanks. The price isn't too bad and the installation looks to be fairly simple. Any idea how much noise the pumps make?

13. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Shouldn't make much

14. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Whoever thought it was a good idea at Nissan to hide the damn sparkplugs under the air manifold and put #6 between the block and the FIREWALL should be taken outside and flogged.

These companies must design their engines with the sole purpose to get you to come back to their shops. The thermostat on this damn thing is tucked under belts, plates and all other things. You have to take the radiator out of the damn truck to get to it. Even the damn air filter is a [itch bay] to change.

15. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Nissan's are the worst for working on yourself.

They do that to get you to bring it into the shop.

16. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

s
    Much truth here. I changed the plugs in my Ford Fusion with V6 engine. I had to remove the intake manifold plus all the intake items. Fortunately I found a very good how-to video on YouTube that had some excellent short cuts. One saved me having to drain the coolant. I agree re making you take it in for service, plus they get to charge several hours labor when actual time is usually less.

17. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

I replaced the headlights in my 07 Silverado this weekend. You have to remove the plastic cover over the radiator, take off the grill, undue two bolts on the front of the headlights, and then take off a bolt in each fenderwell. My wife has an 05 Sierra, you pull out 2 pins and pull the entire headlight assembly comes out.

18. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

You guys and your fancy new cars.

19. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

Got a '64 Pontiac Bonneville convertible, I can fix or replace any component on it. 113,000 actual miles, still has the original spare tire. My dad bought it new.

20. MWR

MWR Contributor

My uncle bought a brand new Bonneville 2 door sometime in the mid 60s. It had a three 2 bbl carbs and it would move on down the road. Back then I-75 from Jellico to Williamsburg Ky was still under construction. It was finished, just not opened yet. My uncle would drive around the barricades and take off down the unopened road and let the big wheels roll. It would cruise at 120 mph and not complain. I was about 10 years old then and life was good.