DIY Construction Advice Thread

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by fl0at_, Oct 26, 2011.

1. Joseph Brant

Joseph Brant Airbrush Aficionado

2 parts warm water to 1 part white vinegar, should scrub out nice.

2. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Just spray bleach water on it and let it sit.

3. CitrusCo.Vol

CitrusCo.Vol Member

I would spray pool shock on it and let it sit.

4. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I'd say it's a trap for Buddhists.

5. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I had thought of that.

6. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Anyone ever messed with refinishing a Jack Daniels barrel? My father-in-law had an old one that he kept in the back of a storage shed for the last 20 years. It looks pretty rough right now with all of the dirt/stains/etc. I'm wanting to clean it up, inset a glass top, and use it as a drink table downstairs next to the pool table.

7. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Post pictures of it when you finish it.

8. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Will do. I don't want to do too much too it because I want it to keep a lot of its character, but it definitely needs some attention after sitting in a shed for so long.

9. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

I like it already, only thing that would make it better is if it was a Jim Beam barrel.

10. justingroves

justingroves supermod

That would be tough. As dried out as those barrels are, you definitely don't want to get it too wet.

11. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

http://blundonbourbonreview.blogspot.com/2015/09/diy-how-to-refinish-bourbon-barrel.html?m=1

Just found this link, which is pretty much what I'm wanting to do. The barrel I have looks about the same as his 'before' picture, maybe a little worse. I don't think I'll take the rungs off like he did, because that just seems like a problem waiting to happen. I also don't like the dark stain that he used. Definitely want something lighter.

12. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

You might try boiled linseed oil or tung oil. They bring out the natural color. But I agree with you that its stained a little dark for my taste.

13. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

I like the way the linseed looks. I may go that route.

14. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

I look forward to seeing it.

15. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

If you go linseed oil make sure you just don't throw a bunched up rag of it down in your work shop or garage. They can burst in to flames

16. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

That would be pretty cool.

17. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

So throw the bunched up rag in the middle of the driveway, grab a drink, and wait for the fun.

18. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Till it burns the house down

19. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

When we built our house, I had every intention of staining our fence. Fast forward 2 years and I still haven't done it. My question, at this point is there any benefit to staining it? I know its supposed to help protect the wood, but is it too late now, or does it matter? I don't feel like spending the money to do it for purely aesthetic reasons, but will probably do it if it will still prolong the life of my fence.

20. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It will still help it last longer