Federal Government tries to block Alabama Immigration Law

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by countvolcula, Oct 10, 2011.

1. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Those are the types that should be hunted and deported. I doubt most of them are looking for a legal living anyway.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

Agreed. It might help smoke them out to get rid of the population of "illegals" they are hiding in, by making them "legal."

3. countvolcula

countvolcula New Member

You have to have a damn good reason to deport or ICE wont touch them. They send them to a detention facility in Texas and most get cut loose again after they have been there awhile. Its a sad set of circumstances.

Chicago just lets theirs go free
    Cook County defies government on immigration - Yahoo! News

Last edited: Oct 15, 2011
  4. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

I can not blame anyone for trying to better themselves, or their families. I would do the same in a heartbeat. with that said, I can't stand the fact many do it illegally. I pay taxes, so should they.

I'm in a situation where I own a landscaping business. I have upwards to four 3 men crews during peak season. I have three hispanics that work for me. They are all legal and do damn fine work. In fact, when I send them on a job, I never have to worry about them half-assing a job. It's the younger caucasian folks that I have a damned hard time getting them to show up and work. in no way am I stereotyping any race, but it's easy to see why they're here. I pay all the same, with the exception of the ones who can run larger equipment. I say that because I've yet to have one of my hispanics complain about pay or even ask for a raise. It's the others, who have been unemployed (try to hire those out of work for the longest) for some time, who find every possible way to [itch bay].

5. janinaB

janinaB New Member

Immigration law is surely a hot-button concern. Alabama is probably the most recent state to pass brand new legislation. Parts of the regulation have already been stopped, however. The larger constitutional questions of the law, however, could take a long time to address. Portions of Alabama immigration law blocked by injunction. Since the Alabama immigration law went into effect, economic activity in Alabama has significantly slowed. Many industries around Alabama have essentially shut down as many employees stage one-day “sick-outs” or are essentially walking off the job entirely. Absentee rates at many schools are significantly spiking and many Alabama farmers are facing fields full of crops they simply cannot find the employees to help harvest.

6. janinaB

janinaB New Member

Other portions of the immigration law, however, have been blocked from enforcement until the law as a whole can be considered by higher courts. It public educational institutions to check the immigration status of all students and also require immigrants to carry their alien registration card or be charged with a felony.

7. BearCat204

BearCat204 Chieftain

Welcome to the board JaninaB. Im glad that some parts of the legislation is not being blocked, but hopefully they will still allow the ability to check the immigration status of all students in public schools in the state. The second part of what they are blocking, I also think should be blocked. Requiring immigrants to carry alien registration cards or be charged with a felony is a real easy way to start profiling those people of a Hispanic decent. I think that part of the bill should be thrown out honestly.

8. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

do you know anyone over 18 without any form of identification? i fail to see the problem.

9. BearCat204

BearCat204 Chieftain

ID.....no problem..........official alien registration card......a little problem

10. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

what's the difference? i assume a drivers licence would be a valid form as well. seems like the only people in trouble are the illegals.

11. BearCat204

BearCat204 Chieftain

Depends on what the definition of "alien registration card". Just looking at it from the perspective of what the arguments will be against it.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

Droski, do you think not having a form of ID on your person at all times is a law? Do you think forgetting your driver's license should be a felony? Then why say it is for these folks (assuming they are here legally, even?)

13. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I have zero problems with a law requiring people have a form of identification on them at all times. Making it a felony is absolutely ridiculous, but i don't see a proposal in place that makes it a felony for a legal citizen to not have an id.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

I don't think it is right to REQUIRE anyone carry a particular object on their person at all times.

15. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i know the big brother arguments and i agree to a degree, but in this case i'd say a national id benefit outweighs the negatives. and i'm not just talking about illegal immigration.

16. BearCat204

BearCat204 Chieftain

We disagree on this, but its probably due to the fact that Ive had to carry proper ID (military and gov) for a majority of my adulthood.

17. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

my guess is once people get used to it, it will stop being a big deal.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

Just inject me with a chip, then. I am going to lose an ID eventually and I don't want to have to be someone's girlfriend because of it.