Florida game thread

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by CardinalVol, Sep 19, 2021.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I can't believe I'm saying this, but this isn't a lost cause.

It's still a long shot, but we have a chance.

2. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Afraid ugliness ensues. Mullen is one of the best at moving the chains and has 2 qbs who can get yards about anytime its needed. His O this year is the Tebow offense. I mean 250 rushing v bama? Couple quick 3 and outs or jump a way wide wr screen and uh oh.

TDVol1989 likes this.
  3. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

I don’t see it. Sincere question, where is our chance?

4. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Food poison and COVID.

A-Smith, warhammer, TDVol1989 and 2 others like this.
  5. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

JayVols and Memtownvol like this.
  6. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

For the last few years, we’ve done significantly better against run-based attacks than pass-based attacks. Their QBs are talented, but inconsistent. That gives us a chance on defense, but we’ll need a good performance from the D and a C+ or worse day from their offense.

Our offense, on the other hand, seems to be pretty good at creating space (against admittedly poor opponents), but we need to actually make plays in space and limit turnovers.

If their heads are still on the Alabama close call, we have a chance. If they come out dialed-in, it probably won’t be especially close. Heupel so far has been excellent at scripting those first couple drives, so I figure we’ll know early whether we’ve got some fight in us.

7. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Florida - 49
    Tennessee - 6

8. cpninja

cpninja Member

Not sure if the stat has held up but at one point(wanting to say 2012-2015ish) teams the week after they play Bama had a bigly losing percentage. That helps but cant imagine our odds are much better than 20% or so regardless, especially being @Florida.

Still, if we can scheme some guys open on deep balls(and actually hit them), you have a chance in just about every game. But i don't think any of the big 3 will particularly close this year

9. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

We are decent against the run, at some point we're going to click on offense, and I'm gonna guess there's a major let down after yesterday.

We've got no better than a 1 in 4 shot, but it's there.

justingroves likes this.
  10. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Their qb can run, we dead.

A-Smith and JayVols like this.
  11. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

Our defense.

12. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

He is also [uck fay]ing trash the majority of possessions. This board needs to get over the notion that ppl can still moonwalk past us.

13. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

I mean I watch the games, and we've not stopped a mobile QB in over a decade. You gotta show me we can stop them, I'm not going to ignore the avalanche of data saying we can't.

JayVols likes this.
  14. chavisut

We have been decent against the run. Then again, UF just went for 250 against Bama.
    I actually see it the opposite as far as a letdown goes. Night game in the swamp. I see this being over by halftime.

TangoUniform, A-Smith and JayVols like this.
  15. chavisut

We lost to Pitt at home. This is Florida in the Swamp.

16. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

I didn't say we'd win. I said our defense would give us a chance to win.

17. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Optimistic, imho.

Memtownvol and cpninja like this.
  18. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Emory Jones is going to do a few stupid things to give you a chance and Grantham is going to either be great or give up 40 defensively.

You can't waste possessions and you can't let UF hit big plays and the game is manageable.

hohenfelsvol likes this.
  19. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

But we've been TERRIBLE against mobile & running QBs. Georgia State, anyone?

Yeah. I know. Different coordinator & scheme, but still...

20. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Tennessee is still wasting way too many offensive possessions but the plays are there if the QB, whoever it is, can make them.

Grantham is going to blitz and leave his dbs by themselves. Everyone in the SEC knows him and what he does.

Tar Volon and lylsmorr like this.