Guns

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by NEW COACH, Feb 16, 2018.

1. NEW COACH

NEW COACH Contributor

Solutions?

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

Rebuild public mental health system and infrastructure, re-evaluate federal background check regulations and procedures, consider limitations or future restrictions of the availability of AR-15 style weapons, leaders tone down emotional rhetoric in public and political discourse (including on this matter).

NYY and Joseph Brant like this.
  3. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

6 years mandatory military service starting on 18th birthday, 2 years active in infantry role, 4 years reserves in the occupation of your choice, or continued active duty if so choose.

Failure to serve or a non Honorable discharge prohibits purchase of firearms.

Mental health is good, but it’ll show in military service and be caught earlier and more efficiently then a high school counselor.

ptclaus98 and TangoUniform like this.
  4. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

There seems to be more pressure on politicians this time than in the past.

It surprises me in this day and age how easy it was for the shooter to enter the school and that their security guard was an unarmed, over weight, football coach.

5. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I don't think any of the popular policies would have stopped it.

I do think having some people armed in these gun free zones could help a little.

10SEvols likes this.
  6. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

The scapegoats will be the FBI who failed to act, or the Sheriffs office who were called to the home 39 times over the past 7 years.

When will people learn that the purpose of Law Enforcement is not to prevent the crime but to act after the crime (when it is too late).

lylsmorr, kidbourbon and 10SEvols like this.
  7. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

I saw a tweet last night that said, "We should rename schools Uterus so that Republicans will start caring about the death of children inside them"

NashVol11 and IP like this.
  8. IP

IP Super Moderator

It's a low blow, but the problem does seem to be under the radar of many when it is isn't immediately occurring.

9. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

It's almost impossible to have an honest discussion about it, due to the emotions of both sides.

10. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

And dipshit comments like this surely cause people to want to work together.

MaconVol, Butthole and TangoUniform like this.
  11. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

No. There is one solution and if you aren't for it, you are a child murderer. Facebook says so.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

I've heard that too many times, right after shootings. But when they aren't immediate, it won't be at the forefront and it wouldn't be less emotional. It has to be talked about, as honestly as possible, no matter how difficult. We had members of congress attacked and shot less than a year ago in broad day light. This is trending up, not down or steady.

13. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

The whole "Now is not the time to talk about the issue" or "it is too soon" is bullshit. It has been years since Sandy Hook; is it still to soon?

JayVols and NashVol11 like this.
  14. NEW COACH

NEW COACH Contributor

Arm teachers, beef up school security.

Butthole likes this.
  15. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

I understand that argument more about abortion; but guns. I worry about people so emotional about their guns.

16. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

I guess that makes pro-gun the pro-choice crowd.

Yay, I’m consistent.

17. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Teachers can have bad days, too

JayVols likes this.
  18. 10SEvols

10SEvols Member

That kid would've went in with pipe bombs and hand grenades if he didn't have a gun. Guns weren't the problem he was. Although I do see the point of easy access to guns.

19. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Mental health needs to be a point of emphasis.

20. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

The resolutions isn't just about gun control and neither side wants to budge. It will take a layered approach.

1) sensible gun control laws (republicans don't want)
    2) good guys with guns available (democrats don't want)
    2) better security at entrances.