I don't care how unpopular this opinion is

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by emainvol, Oct 8, 2011.

1. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

I seriously feel like that happens every time we even pretend to go left. If we call an odd number defenders start coming. Shit, if we snap it with and odd number on the clock, thomas and bullard must lie down.

2. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Bullard got manhandled for a safety by a Montana DL. If Marcus Jackson isn't able to unseat him, that last recruiting class isn't as good as we thought. Byron Moore, Pat Martin, and Marcus Jackson can't get PT at positions of need. All were big-time guys for the last class.

3. FlowingAway.

FlowingAway. Banned

I don't see how anyone can still believe 2012 is "The Year". Maybe that's emotions talking, but I just don't see it.

4. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I think 2012 will be the kind of year we all hoped this year would be. This year is going to be closer to 2010. 2013 will be another rough one unless a lot of guys that should go to the NFL draft decide to hang around.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2011
  5. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

While my optimism took a hit, I'm not quite ready to give up. We have serious issues, but for the first time in years, I think we'll be better than the majority of our opponents. Every game will be winnable unless conference expansion forces LSU onto the schedule.

6. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

You think we'll be good enough to survive the minimum 1 quarter shitstorm we experience every game?

7. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I feel like we'll have a hard time canning Wilcox. I know the defense doesn't look that good, but they've had reasonably good results, points-wise. That'll change with the beatings for the next two weeks, but still. Hard to blame too much on the DC when we lost to a team that scored 20, one of the TDs being basically handed to them by our offense and special teams.

8. JZ1124

JZ1124 Active Member

Was it really a surprise our shitty kicker couldn't keep it in bounds? Without Bray the games will be unwatchable.

9. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

I think we'll be flat better than the 4 ooc opponents, Vanderbilt, Kentucky, and Mississippi State. If South Carolina and Arkansas lose as much as I think they do (correct me if I'm wrong), we'll be better than they are, too. Unless Bama loses less than I think they will, we'll be able to win every game. I stand by that, despite how insane I may look.

Agreed. Hopefully Dooley realizes Georgia got extremely conservative and probably could have put up 2 more td's. Something certainly needs to change, because it was painful.

10. TRUVOL

TRUVOL New Member

No blocking whatsoever!

11. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Kicking to the short side certainly didn't help. Stupid.

12. IMISSTHEBOWLBROS

IMISSTHEBOWLBROS Contributor

This starting to look like the truth, we should at least see better defensive scheme from Wilcox by now, Or are these kids the same as Boise States talent?

13. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

I would like for somebody with more insight than me to explain WTF is wrong with the offensive line.

Also, Rivera has had some moments.

14. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Just opinion but its one or part of 2 things.

1. Coaching
    2. The young talent is not as good as we thought/think it is.

The OL has enough time under their belt to be better than what they are youth is not an excuse anymore IMO. Shake it up if they are not getting it done we have some young talent behind them too.

15. Chiutfan

Chiutfan New Member

I like dooley, Im not overly impressed with the offense, and I think the defense doesnt get after it enough I think we need bigger hitters and we need to pressure the Qbs a lot more. I'd be willing to give the satff til the end of the year and if there is significant improvement then give them some slack on the leash, if not, then start the hunt for some new dogs who are willing to go ater the jugluar and win games like Tennesee is meant to. Im not a crazy fan who says Dooley has to win the NC next year or else but hes got to start winning the winnable games. I still say the biggest dent to this program is the lack of recruiting in the past years. Bottom Line is SEC teams need to reload and quickly to stay competitive and we havent.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2011
  16. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Welcome. Can't argue with any of that. I'm good with Dooley hanging around, but I'm eager to see if he starts to evaluate his underlings. Maybe hiring a running backs coach that can also coach special teams would be a good idea. Kiffin was supposedly after such a guy from the 49ers before he left. Harry Heistand, Terry Joseph, and Eric Russell all need to be considered. Not sure it's quite to that point with Chaney and Wilcox, but I hope they aren't feeling too comfortable.

17. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

Of course there will be improvement. 3 of our last 4 games are MTSU, Kentucky, and Vandy. It will be almost as dramatic as the "improvement" at the end of the season last year. Hell, you might even get to see improvement against the 5th best team in the Big East in Memphis for an early New Year's gift.

18. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

That along with looking at the OL problems is our biggest issue right now.

19. Chiutfan

Chiutfan New Member

yeah Im totally not buying that there isnt better coaching available either. Tennesee needs to beat the crap out of you win lose or draw, we need to be the team you never want to play again...

20. justingroves

justingroves supermod

[uck fay] a special teams coach. That's supposedly Dooley's area of expertise. The kicker that he's bringing in this had better be able to hit EPs and fgs from 40 yards and in.

Dooley's handcuffed by having a shitty kicker right now. The coverage has gotten better