If you could, who would you replace Bob Kesling with as the Voice of the Vols?

Discussion in 'VOLuminous' started by UncleNeyland, Sep 7, 2011.

1. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I 2nd Ron Franklin. I also like Sean McDonough.

2. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Would love to sit in on a conversation between him and Heather Harrington.

3. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Would be boring. She'd either not understand or be flattered.

4. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Which would make it all the more fun for me.

5. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

Sean McDonough is not only a fabulous announcer, but a great guy too. I've worked with him on two occasions. Was shocked he remembered me the second time around.

I'm not so worried about Kessling though, I think people over react to his work simply because he's not John Ward. I want rid of Bobby Denton. And I want that job...

6. CD12

CD12 Member

Ron Wright and or Dutch Mantel

7. Sleezboe

Sleezboe New Member

Jon Gruden

8. UncleNeyland

UncleNeyland New Member

I'll admit the 'not John Ward' thing does influence me on K.

Where did the Bobby Denton, "...AND PAY NO MORE" originate from????

9. CD12

CD12 Member

Mouse's Ear?

10. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

I think he does a generally decent job for basketball. His football work isn't terrific, but it is hard following a legend.

I pick up a lot of home broadcasts of other teams on XM. Most college sports announcers just aren't very good.

11. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

Eh, most of your specific team MLB, NFL and NBA announcers aren't very good either. Vin Scullys and John Wards are exceptions to the general rule, not the norm. I don't think many people understand that. It is incredibly hard to talk for 4 hours about an event that no one listening to you can see.

12. Sleezboe

Sleezboe New Member

i couldn't do it....unless I had a bottle of scotch and plenty of ice for every game.

13. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

that's what most of them end up doing and it shows when they're flat out awful 3/4 through the game.

14. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

I didn't specify college because I thought they were inferior; I simply have not listened to very much professional sports broadcast on the radio. The one exception was the Braves team of Caray, Johnson, Simpson, Sutton, and van Weiren in the '90s, who I thought were terrific. They were much better on the radio than on TV, IMO, and I even liked the switch from one to the other half way through the game to keep the broadcast fresh.

15. volinbham

volinbham Member

Gilbert Gottfried

16. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

17. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Listening to Mike Shannon in the 8th inning of a blowout game when he's on about his 12th ice cold Budweiser is pure comedy. How he's never dropped an f-bomb on the airwaves is amazing in itself.