I'm Just Not Seeing The Basis For All The 8 and 9 Win Talk.

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by hatvol96, Aug 15, 2011.

1. BearCat204

BearCat204 Chieftain

Being slapped around like an abused woman will do that.

2. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

no doubt we're gun shy, but we actually have some talented kids playing now. I don't like Kiffin in the least and hated the Dooley hire, but the last two recruiting classes have been our best in years and years. We are, from a talent perspective, moving back in line with the best teams in the conference - partly because we're doing well and partly because they have taken steps back.

3. BearCat204

BearCat204 Chieftain

Agree 100%

4. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

Did anyone think we could almost pull it off against Bama in 09? If we had a competent kicker and a decent OL we probably win that game. Any given Saturday.

But you're right, Alabama is probably a loss.

5. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

That's true, but we are throwing a lot more talented freshmen and sophomores out there than the guys we will be playing. Best case, we'll be throwing 7 or 8 SEC ready guys per unit out there against teams that are throwing 9, 10, or 11.

We should be better than we have been for the past couple of seasons. I just don't see us being better than the guys we will be playing against.

6. justingroves

justingroves supermod

A team like UGA is throwing out converted LBs at TB and walk-on OL.

I would much rather take my chances with talented younger guys than perennial special teamers.

7. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

All along I've felt that this team would be quite a bit improved but might not really show in the record. It seems to me that 6-7 wins is about where we are right now. If I had to place a bet I reckon I'd take 7. Think we'll be more competitive against some of the better teams, but just too much inexperience and unproven talent.

8. BearCat204

BearCat204 Chieftain

Fair assesment and welcome to the board

9. HamptonVol

HamptonVol New Member

We are going to beat UGA. They are going to be garbage. There's 7 wins.

10. UncleNeyland

UncleNeyland New Member

I would love to see a dream season of 8 wins, or a great season of 7 wins, or my expectation of a season of 6 wins.... just not 5 wins. Two major issues come to mind for me when I look to the end of November in the SEC - 1) who had depth 2) who survived with few major injuries. I think if we do win 7 we will have to sneak in a Gator win or a Dawg win. I just have this rumbling in my gut that injuries could chip away at us sometime in the Hell month of October. I do realize other teams have the same possibility of injury, but depth after injuries is key.

11. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

[uck fay] me, we're Iowa State.

12. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

When I first showed up at VN, I said Fulmer had turned us into Minnesota/Texas Tech. Looks like I was on to something.

13. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

i said 8-5 in my work predictions, and i think we get there with a win in the bowl game.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

Oh man, let's not start picking bowl wins.

15. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

I feel pretty good that we can handle whoever CUSA throws at us in the Liberty.

16. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

This all turns on how you see the Florida game turning out. I objectively believe that we are the better team and will win the game, and so I have the W penciled in. From there, 9 wins becomes optimistic but not unattainable.

17. kidbourbon

Co-sign.

18. kidbourbon

I view them as more than beatable. If we played Florida last year in November, with Bray as QB, we win the game. Period. I do not consider this point to be arguable. Florida offense got worse and worse to the point where they simply couldn't score towards the end of the year. They were bad.

With that being, who improved more in the offseason? The team with the new coaching staff? With the QB who appears to be no better than Jonathan Crompton? With the receivers that scare nobody and the running backs that don't enjoy contact?

Or the team with a returning QB who is actually good? And who has rapport with two stud wide receivers who had an entire year in the same offensive system? With the objectively improved offensive line? And with the addition of a potential playmaker in the RB slot?

Bottom-line: we can score. I don't think they can score.

19. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

Does losing Jackson change the win total for anyone?

20. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

I wouldn't be surprised if Brantley has a Brady Quinn style improvement under their new OC.

I think it's winnable, but it will be Bray's first start outside of Tennessee, so I'm not betting on it.