Justin Worley

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Brinkley52, Sep 21, 2011.

1. DarthVisor

DarthVisor Active Member

Our d-line hasn't been all that impressive. I thought they were vastly overrated after the Georgia game, and I will feel that way until they prove otherwise. Our secondary sucks, and we may as well have no QB because Garcia can't get the ball to the receivers. We have the potential to have a great year, but we have some big issues.

2. Brinkley52

Brinkley52 The Patterson Prophecies

I think everyone is a homer to an extent..or else you wouldn't be a fan...
    I do think I know a decent amount when it comes to football..
    my reasoning for that quote is as follows
    SC starting front four: Devin Taylor (All-SEC in 2010 and Pre-Season ALL-SEC 2011), Travian Robertson (ALL-SEC in 2010 and Pre-Season ALL SEC 2011), Melvin Ingram (led SCAR in sacks in 2011 and has been a force so far this year), and Jadeveon Clowney (#1 overall high school recruit in 2011, Rivals defensive player of the year)
    Athlon sports named SCAR as having the top defensive line in the country during the pre-season and ranked SCAR's defensive line recruiting class #1
    that is my reasoning for that quote

3. Brinkley52

what hasn't been impressive about the D-line?? considering we NEVER blitz..and they still get pressure...Clowney has 3 sacks, Ingram has been all world, Taylor hasn't been as dominating, but he is seeing double teams, Robertson has been steady..our weakness remains our secondary...and its the scheme Johnson is running...he plays Gilmore in a man D...then plays the rest in a soft zone....Johnson is way to high on Gilmore's skillset...I mean...this is only his THIRD year playing corner..he was exclusively a QB in high school..played maybe 20 snaps of D his entire high school career (I was the radio play by play voice for South Pointe when Gilmore was in school, so I followed all of his games)

4. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

It's possible SC has the best line in the East, or the potential to, though they haven't fully showed it yet.

Comparing Florida and SC, I think on paper Florida and South Carolina have comparable d-lines. Clowney's potential is unlimited. Floyd is a monster. Florida has better linebackers for sure. The secondary is a wash. LSU has the best defense overall, but since SC doesn't play them, I don't think it is a total stretch to say "the best dline SC will face is their own dline".

5. Brinkley52

I think we still haven't seen the ability of SCAR's defense because of the wide variations in offenses faced...ECU is a pass happy "Air Raid" spread...and those offenses put up points..but also turn it over a lot...as evidence in game 1....game two saw UGA with a pro style...and game three was Navy who runs the triple option almost as good as Ga Tech..so three very different offenses equals brand new game plan each week...we will learn a lot about SCAR's D between now and mid-October with Vandy, Auburn, Kentucky, and Miss St on the schedule...all of which tend to run more "normal" offenses

6. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

Individually, I think Clowney is the best talent that any SC o-lineman will face in their college careers. I think he's going to be unblockable for 3 years.

7. Brinkley52

I hope and think you are right...hopefully he will continue to work hard and improve...

8. DarthVisor

DarthVisor Active Member

They haven't been that impressive, in my opinion. They played like garbage against Georgia. Murray had all day to throw the entire game. Some of that id a part of us not blitzing, but a lot of it falls on the d-line.

I'm noy disagreeing with you that we have a good d-line. I just don't think they've played up to their potential yet.

9. YankeeVol

YankeeVol Member

People drinking that orange kool-aid. I think with the way Bray played last year in the second half has given people too much hope. Lattimore will run all over our D again this year

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

Dude... Good luck this year.

11. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

I don't think you and I see the same things when we watch. I saw a Tennessee team with holes in the DLine and in the secondary and a LB corp so decimated that they started two true freshman. I saw an offensive line that couldn't runblock at all, that allowed three sacks, and that struggled with the snap. I saw an poor ST unit for Tennessee again.

I did see a dangerous quarterback and WR corp, even with Hunter out, but I don't have any question that the better team won.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2011
  12. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Les Miles chuckles.

13. VOLinDAWGland

VOLinDAWGland Contributor

Chavis would to if he actually chuckled.