Looks like another wasted year

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by GoVols, Sep 17, 2011.

1. tidwell

tidwell Chieftain

My apologies to the running game. Looks like they did get out of the red and finished with seven yards.

2. BearCat204

BearCat204 Chieftain

Solid effort, especially since we lost our best offensive weapon 3 minutes in. There are some things to be excited about, but there are also some things that need some desperate change (tackling). I was happy to see our defense hold them to FGs in the first half when Florida got the ball on the >40 for about three series in a row. Hate losing to those turds again, but I think we are in the right direction.

3. BearCat204

BearCat204 Chieftain

My only real [itch bay] other than the obvious was, why the [uck fay] are we still running play action deep into the third quarter when we havent been running the ball at all the entire game? And James Stone needs to go out back after the game and practice snapping the ball till he [uck fay]ing head explodes.

4. egotistical

egotistical New Member

Stone seemed upset. As much as it sucked, our D was decent at times, and Bray never gave up. Tough break at the end.

Zach Rogers is still the fastest man in Tennessee.

5. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I do too, but when you lose literally half your offense within 4 minutes of kicking off and have to replace him a slew of under talented upperclassmen and freshmen it's going to hurt.

Tennessee is still not back to "Tennessee" level.

UF never has had a talent problem, last year it was a coaching problem. The UF D still looks reckless and stupid and they have no offensive threat other than Demps or Rainey.

A freshman LB screwed up on the goal line and another freshman LB screwed up in pass coverage. Those two mistakes as well as the blocked punt cost Tennessee the game.

That game shows me the talent level isn't much different and the main factor is experience and getting a punter that doesn't take 18 seconds to get the ball off.

6. volinbham

volinbham Member

My reasons to watch:

1. Dooley evaluation and development - he says the right things and the team didn't quit today
    2. Tyler Bray is special. Dude took a lot of abuse and had a lot of drops but put the ball on the money (sometimes in too tight of coverage). He's fun to watch.

Biggest disappointments:

1. Tackling - doesn't anyone teach fundamentals anymore? Seems like the same story for the last 10 years at UT.
    2. Lack of physical talent - watching LSU, Alabama, and the OU/FSU game shows we just don't have the studs
    3. O-line is a [uck fay]ing disaster

7. 7thgroupvolfan

7thgroupvolfan New Member

[uck fay]ing a

8. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

This is pretty dead on. There were times I was probably too harsh on Tyler Bray watching the game, most notably wanting him to get rid of the ball sooner, but he played very, very well. He's gonna be lights out good if Dooley and Co. can get the rest of the pieces.

I'm at a loss for tackling. How long is going to take for UT to realize you can't bring down these lightning quick little RBs Florida always has with hits to the shoulders. If their legs don't get stopped, they don't stop. Hit 'em lower and for goodness sakes, please start wrapping up. Just embarassing.

The offensive line just doesn't have the strength, power, mass or desire to be badass. I'm sick and tired of watching them get pushed around.

9. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Amen

10. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I'm just as tired of mediocrity as the next guy, but at no point does the thought of stopping watching UT football for the year cross my mind. If yesterday's game tells us anything about these vols, it is that they are definitely not going to quit.

Just try to look for some good through all the bad. For example, Arnett got some playing time and looked very good for a freshman!

11. It's hard to tackle quick, fast guys like Rainey because the defender will attempt to deliver a textbook tackle only for him to simply juke away from the defender. Then the defender gets in studder-step mode trying to contain him before attempting to bring him down and he's in a whole nother mess of trouble when the defender doesn't have other defenders there to back up his defensive position. We're simply too slow all around on d.

kptvol likes this.
  12. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

maybe, but if you grab him lower, or even hit him lower than we are for that matter, it's going to slow him down and allow other defenders to get there. Hitting someone like Rainey or Demps shoulder to shouler is just going to make him bounce with those quick, little legs. There were numerous times we hit Rainey or Demps in the backfield with plenty of tacklers near him, but all we essentially did was push them out of the way of other tacklers and they ran around them. Wrap up the legs and/or lower waist. If you can't wrap up, hit 'em there.

13. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

btw... are you "the" Sammy Frogg?

14. VOLinDAWGland

VOLinDAWGland Contributor

Sounds like you need to go back to Volnation, you'll have a lot of miserable company there.

15. VOLinDAWGland

VOLinDAWGland Contributor

Rainey is little, lightning fast and strong which is a tough combo to deal with. He's short so tough for the bigger guys to break down low enough to get the legs and while in the process of breaking down he'll just run right by you. He's just an elite talent that was having a great day. Lather's and Janzen Jackson would have both helped a lot in this game.

Think about it...we were missing our best and fastest DB, our best and fastest LB and our best WR. That's just too much to overcome at this point against a very talented team at home.

16. Smowkee

Smowkee New Member

It was painful to watch another loss to Florida, but I'm proud of the way the team battled back. Yes, there were tons of mistakes, and we shot ourselves in the foot dozens of times. But the team is young and will get better. If not for Hunter's injury and the blocked punt, we probably win this game.

17. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I've forgotten... was Rainey the one that texted "Time to die" to his girlfriend?

18. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

yes

19. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Keeping Tauren Poole out there isn't helping either.

20. countvolcula

countvolcula New Member

I want Poole to succeed, but I just dont think he has the vision and speed to be the guy. Like mullet said, he cant hit a hole to save his life and its because he has poor field vision. Poole needs to run like he just robbed a store