Obama: Maybe it's time for mandatory voting

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by OrangeEmpire, Mar 19, 2015.

1. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

http://www.cnn.com/2015/03/19/politics/obama-mandatory-voting/index.html

2. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Horrible idea.

3. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Plus I hate a hypocrite. He had no issue taking that money to run his machine for election.

4. OrangeEmpire

That stage ain't gonna pay for itself......

[​IMG]

5. OrangeEmpire

He has style...............

[​IMG]

6. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

I think this is a bad idea by Obama, too, but it's not like he had much of a choice, if he wanted to run for president. You have to play the game.

Anyway, the mandatory voting, to me, probably means there's a higher percentage of uninformed, dipshit voters just pulling the lever to avoid a fine and maybe even more of a chance that demagoguery and manipulation of the masses will occur as a result. A lot of people on this board and elsewhere lament the stupid people who vote, but, to me the truly moronic, generally, don't vote.

Plus, I am not in favor, at all, of something that is defined as a right for each citizen turned into an obligation under threat of penalty.

7. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Not surprising from a man who places such a low value on personal freedom.

8. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

They're all similar. You have to get in the muck to make it in high level politics. I'm a little surprised, or not, that he would publicly say such a dumb thing.

9. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I voted for him the first go around. I was left holding a pig in a poke. I believe he's more than played the game.

This would also set up the democrats the best in future elections, as it would help them with midterms and not having to do so much work on their ground game to get voters out.

10. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

No.

EDIT: And all I hear is noisy lame-duck rhetoric,anyway.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2015
  11. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

All in the name of the greater good

12. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Exactly.

Its the puffy, make everybody feel good comment. He's no different than those he has run against across the board, R's and D's alike. Show me the money!

13. Beechervol

Not really. You can say whatever you want and then hide behind - "No one else is with me in change". He knows its not gonna change, thats why its easy to say what he did.

Im sure you will see similar remarks in the future as the hour glass empties on his term

14. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

To me, that's why it was a dumb thing to say even if everyone knows he believes it.

15. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

16. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

the guy's a joke. now, 6 years ago, whenever

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

I think there are things that could be done to encourage voting as well as guard against voter fraud. Many countries have you dip your finger in ink after voting to avoid someone voting multiple times. We could do the same thing here, and let a stained finger be a mark of pride. I'm sure businesses would begin offering discounts to those who voted, allow employees a chance to vote if they can verify that they did, etc.

I don't get why we don't do it. It is such a good idea.

18. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Republicans would be breaking their arms to pat themselves on the back had they come up with it.

19. OrangeEmpire

20. Beechervol

Plenty of ignorant sheep roam this country.

The art of politics - Say what people want to hear (or sounds good), then blame somebody else for it not happening. Whether you had intentions of doing anything about yourself is irrelevant.