On the sport of coach bashing...

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by O+W=H., Oct 12, 2011.

1. justingroves

justingroves supermod

This is true.

2. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

One thing that worries me is getting into the November schedule with the Vandy's and Kentucky's and thinking things have improved. Tyler Bray will be back (hopefully) within 6 weeks or so and the schedule gets easier, I hope people don't forget about some of the problems that will be masked by that.

3. VOLinDAWGland

VOLinDAWGland Contributor

It actually applies even more to this year. There were still a few Senior contributors last year sprinkled around that are no longer here. Which is why last year was year zero. The clock starts this year and he should get 4 yrs no question.

4. VOLinDAWGland

VOLinDAWGland Contributor

I'm just not angry and frustrated anymore, just kind of numb and more objective, less emotional about it all. I'll be at the LSU game screaming myself horse. Now if we're still stumble bumbling around in 2013 and 2014 then I'll be ready to move on. But what this program needs more than anything at this point is four years of stability not counting last year which was simply damage control and disaster clean-up.

5. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

This sums up my concerns with 100% accuracy. The OL looks like shit, and this isn't their 1st year. They are catching D linemen not attacking them. The DL makes contact before our OL takes a step. That can and should be fixed. It looks like it hasn't been addressed.

We get zero pressure. We never blitz. WRs are running by our CBs with no safety coming over the top. I know many of our DBs are young, but they haven't faced any elite receivers yet either. The lack of pressure is certainly exacerbating our coverage issues, so maybe I'm being too critical of the DBs. If a QB has all day, he's going to find someone open. I would at least TRY to blitz the crap put of the offense to get some pressure to help our coverages. What we have gotten is a completely vanilla approach. We are losing contain too often. We have guys running completely by plays with no clue who has the ball. Those aren't rocket science concepts. They are fundamentals that are taught in middle school. I am completely put off by Wilcox's schemes (or should I say lack thereof). This guy was supposed to have a system that could perform at high levels with less that high level players. I really am starting to think he is in way over his head. 'The next great coach' my ass.

I like DD. I think he can get it done. My beef lies with his assistant coaches.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2011