Prager: Inconvenient Truth About Democratic Party

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Tenacious D, May 25, 2017.

1. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Get you some of this, you bunch of history-denying, fact-refuting, racist-ass, feel-first Democrats.

[youtube]g_a7dQXilCo[/youtube]

2. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

[youtube]G2tLyqfJd54[/youtube]

3. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

I know we've had this discussion previously. but there's not many who will deny that the Democrats were the slavery, white supremacist party. However, this isn't 1857 or 1948. All those Southern Democrats have disappeared and began doing so in the Civil Rights Era. There's also some things missing there in the video. Like, who started desegregation in the military that really got the ball rolling on desegregation and began the long push of those racist Democrats away from the party? Who established the "Southern strategy"? Which party had a candidate that began their presidential campaign with a talk about "states rights" in a town where three civil rights workers were murdered by the Klan and lied about "welfare queens" to great effect?

And, then there's this, too. He must be a Democrat, though.

[video=youtube;X_8E3ENrKrQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_8E3ENrKrQ[/video]

4. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

As a long time Republican (but have not voted Republican in 10+ years), don't forget that all of those Democrats went over to the Republican party in the late 60's early 70's. There are no more Southern Democrats.

That said, the video is historical fact, and I am not sure that anyone disputes it.

5. Tenacious D

No, this isn't at all true. Of the dozens of Democrats-turned-segregationist-Dixiecrats, all but 1-2 remained in the Democratic Party, and most were re-elected and continue to serve as Democrats long after Dixiecrats dissolved.

6. Unimane

There were a lot more than just one or two Southern Democrats switching.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Party_switching_in_the_United_States

You are also missing a critical point of those Dixiecrats. Why did they feel the need to create the Dixiecrats in the first place?

Last edited: May 25, 2017
  7. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Nobody has commented on my Key & Peele video. I think it's hilarious.

Love me some Key & Peele. Obama's anger translator, Luther, is pure gold.

8. Tenacious D

Your link shows any movement by a politician in any elected office, and who switched at any time before or after their term of service. Here are the list of names of those Democrats who switched to being Republicans, the year they switched and the offices they held:

1964 – Alfred Goldthwaite, Alabama State Representative
    1964 – Clarke Reed
    1964 – Howard Callaway, later U.S. Representative from Georgia (1965–1967) and United States Secretary of the Army (1973–1975)
    1964 – Iris Faircloth Blitch, former Georgia U.S. Representative (1955–1963)
    1964 – Charles W. Pickering, later Mississippi State senator and Judge of the United States District Court for the Southern District of Mississippi (2004)
    1964 – Strom Thurmond, while U.S. senator from South Carolina (1954–2003).[5]
    1965 – Albert W. Watson, while U.S. Representative from South Carolina (1963–1971) (resigned before switching parties and regained his seat in a special election)
    1965 – Roderick Miller, Louisiana State Representative
    1966 – Marshall Parker, South Carolina State Senator
    1966 – Joseph O. Rogers, Jr., South Carolina State Representative
    1966 – Thomas A. Wofford, former U.S. Senator from South Carolina (1956)
    1966 – Len E. Blaylock, later U.S. Marshal for the Eastern District of Arkansas (1975–1978)
    1966 – Jerry Thomasson, Arkansas State Representative
    1966 – Henry Grover, Texas State Representative
    1967 - Thad Cochran, U.S. Senator from Mississippi 1978-present, US Representative from Mississippi's 4th District
    1967 – William E. Dannemeyer, later U.S. Representative from California (1979–1992)
    1967 – Allison Kolb, former Louisiana State Auditor (1952–1956)
    1968 – William Reynolds Archer, Jr., while a Texas State Senator, later U.S. Representative from Texas (1971–2001)
    1968 – Will Wilson, former Attorney General of Texas (1957–1963)
    1968 – James L. Bentley, Comptroller General of Georgia (1963–1971)
    1968 – Gerald J. Gallinghouse, later United States Attorney for the Eastern District of Louisiana (1970–1978)

Your list contains a total of 21 politicians who switched from the Democratic to Republican Party between 1964-1969. Of those, the vast majority are State reps, Comptrollers, held office before switching, or only later, after switching.

Contrast your list with this one, showing those Democrats-turned-Dixiecrats-turned-back-to-Democrats, after 1964:

Notables:
    Rep. John Rarick D-LA
    Commissioner of Public Safety Bull Connor D-AL

Governors:
    Gov. Orval Faubus D-AR
    Gov. Frank M. Dixon D-AL
    Gov. Benjamin Travis Laney D-AR
    Gov. William H. Murray D-OK
    Gov. George Wallace D-AL
    Gov. Lester Maddox D-GA
    Gov. Fielding Wright D-MS

US Senators:

Sen. B. Everett Jordan D-NC
    Sen. A. Willis Robertson D-V
    Sen. Olin D. Johnston D-SC
    Sen. Sam Ervin D-NC
    Sen. J. Lister Hill D-AL
    Sen. John C. Stennis D-MS
    Sen. James Eastland D-MS
    Sen. Allen J. Ellender D-LA
    Sen. Russell B. Long D-LA
    Sen. John Sparkman D-AL
    Sen. John “Little” McClellan D-AR
    Sen. Richard Russell, Jr. D-GA
    Sen. Herman Talmadge D-GA
    Sen. Robert Carlyle Byrd D-WV
    Sen. Harry F. Byrd D-V
    Sen. Al Gore, Sr. D-TN
    Sen. Spessard Holland D-FL
    Sen. Herbert S. Walters D-TN
    Sen. George Smathers D-FL

That's a total of 28, and 26 of those were US Senators or State Governors!

I guess a better question might be: Why do you think so many Dixiecrats felt comfortable in returning to the Democratic Party? Or better, how many former Dixiecrats were later kicked out of the Democratic Party, or were even censured?

[youtube]bdJsPsU55PM[/youtube]

That this seemingly spontaneous and inexplicable switch occurred by which Segregationists Democrats suddenly became Republicans is an all-too-convenient but patently false myth of the modern day Democratic Party.

The Republican Party didn't overtake and cement their grip of the south until after all of their Civil Rights measures were passed, and had taken hold.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

My comments on this topic were made on tenny"s previous thread on this topic. The Cliff's notes: this conversation is dumb.

10. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

I wish things worked this way sometimes. Tennessee used to be good at football so they must still be good.

11. Tenacious D

I'd say the same, were I you.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

If you were me, you'd be me? More hard-hitting and thoughtful analysis in this thread.

13. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

But in the beginning, Tennessee didn't have a football team. And at least that's true now.

14. Tenacious D

Racist.

Some things never change with you people.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

Whatever you do, stay away from any mapping of historical elections. You may hurt yourself.

16. Unimane

Amazing how you completely ignore the fact that I posted the smoking gun admission of Lee Atwater telling how the Republicans used race to win elections.

Some other critical details left out by you is that the following were the result of a Democratic president:

-Ending of segregation in the military
    -Civil Rights Act of 1964
    -Voting Rights Act of 1965

Not to mention the fact that there was a great schism between northern Democrats and southern ones regarding civil rights, one notably with your beloved JFK. Also, was it the Republican or Democratic candidate that was against the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and how did the south vote that year? In fact, how did the south start voting in presidential elections in the aftermath of the civil rights era? Do I need to pull out some electoral college maps to show how silly your point is? Also, these Southern Democrats were voting with the conservative Republicans and were Democrats in name only, which is why a Democrat responded by saying "Don't let the door hit you on the way out" as the last of the former Democrats switched.

I'm not sure why you keep trying to argue this line of the southern Democrats not turning after the civil rights era other than you don't want it to be true. However, it's not an really argued idea in historical circles, as it's a pretty readily and obvious fact of history.

17. Tenacious D

Want me to share a video of Podesta's strategy? France touting the impenetrable Maginot Line? Butch's introductory presser?

Well, if a bunch of academics - known for the political objectivity - say it isn't so, well, ok.

I've put on my proof, and it speaks for itself. The Democratic Party is seeped in racism, and to deny that reality is to refute clear, convincing and historically accurate fact.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

No it isn't. You have simplified history to fit your agenda. The very existence of a northern and southern democratic party in 1860 demonstrates that this wasn't some monolithic "Democratic" thought. The Democratic party by its very name is a populist one, and populist ideas often reflect the time. Republicans don't get credit for forming in 1860 rather than before it. Some of the Republicans' party platforms of the 1800's concern the government playing a large role in the economy, the power of the federal government over the states, and social justice. All of those things are firmly outside of the Republican platform now. Things change.

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

That you think there is a monolithic "Republicans" and "Democrats" that extends more than a century is actually a symptom of the partisan disease that afflicts this country. We are one people, we all are born and die Americans.

20. Unimane

The Democratic Party is seeped in historical racism, but what is the greater point here? Because it seems to be changing. Is it about the "white man's party" of the segregation era or are we discussing the switch that was spurred by the civil rights era? Or, is it about modern times? I mean, what exactly are you wanting to say?

And, give me a break on academics and objectivity, then try and tell us you are above board with only "facts", as if you have only objectivity in mind. They, at least, have a far greater threshold for rigor.