Question to the Christians of the board

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by lylsmorr, Jun 27, 2015.

1. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

What makes you sure of the story of Jesus? Have you ever had doubts? If so, what helped to ease those doubts?

2. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

what makes me so sure is a couple things...

One is what happened in that Upper room. No one was the same after that encounter. Two is that own peace that surpasses understanding that I have felt in my own life. My faith isn't based around emotions, but there have been times that a comfort came to me that I can only explain as being from a spiritual source.

Have I doubted? You betcha. I believe God sent His son through a virgin birth to live an infallible life and die a horrendous death only to be raised again in 3 days. I don't see how anyone could not step back and wonder. Where questions arise, faith steps in. There's a lot of stuff I don't understand. There's a multitude of questions I could ask God. But to me the simple faith, childlike faith even, is the cornerstone of it all. What helps ease those doubts though again is the personal experience. I've said it before but "church" people have hurt me worse than any other person(s) have ever. It's about a personal relationship. My relationship is one that I communicate with God, and vice versa. Do I fail daily? You bet. But at the end of the day I know the man I was before I accepted and decided to have faith, and the man I am after.

One of my favorite verses in the Bible is where Jesus asked who do men say that I am? Peter said some say John the Baptist, some say Elijah, and some say a prophet. But Jesus point blank asked Peter, "who do YOU say that I am?"

That's the gist. I expect to be judged for what I believe. To some it's a fairy tale. But to me, doubts and all at times, I answer with Peter. You are the Messiah.

3. g8terh8ter_eric

g8terh8ter_eric Contributor

Great post NYY!

4. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

I appreciate that, NYY. For some reason, I had just fallen into a funk. I felt like I have to know and understand everything, but that really helped.

5. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

It happens man. Those that spent the every waking moment with Jesus, the moment he died they went back to all they ever knew. If it happened to them, it can surely happen to you and me.

6. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

My faith is strengthened by spending time with other Christians -real Christians, the ones that follow - and seeing how much they love others, how they invest themselves (time, money, etc.) towards the good of others, how they pour out their hearts praying for others. And they say that they do it because they are following Jesus. But the thing is, they are not faking or dutifully mimicking. They profoundly care. To me that always makes a huge impact.

I find that my faith is weakened when I spend my time and energy on my own pursuits, when I ignore prayer and worship, and when I am isolated from other believers.

In combination with that and what I have subjectively experienced (and I have doubted my experiences) I think that the dramatic rise of the first century church, in spite of being a poor and persecuted group, was a pretty shocking historical development. People were willing to die for what they claim they saw and experienced and lived-the resurrection of Christ.

7. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Look at those people in Charleston telling that racist subhuman redneck that they love him and forgive him. That's weird man.

8. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Amen JH.

9. Snakeonia

Snakeonia Active Member

I've had doubts in the past. I've doubted my salvation before, but I believe that is the work of the devil. He tries to make you wonder if the story of Jesus is true, or if placing your faith in Jesus truly makes you saved. Don't be discouraged, spend time with Him daily in prayer and studying His word.

10. MWR

MWR Contributor

I know what Jesus Christ done for me.

11. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

I dont think thats natural.

I won't lie, I'd have a very hard time doing that without some extraordinary levels of peace. And at that it would be a struggle.

12. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

It's fleshly nature and the carnality of the mind that causes you to doubt Lyle. It's happened to a large majority of folks. I like to say that I have driven up stakes in my life that the devil can't make me deny. The first being the day I was born again by God's grace when I was 16. There was a trouble that had set up in my heart that was rolled away at the end of a prayer that day. I seriously don't even remember what I was saying, but I do know that there was a change that took place that day in my soul. The other stakes I've driven up are ones as to where I've felt The Lord's presence in such a mighty way. (I.E. Leadership from the spirit to join the church, leadership from the spirit through this life, my call to preach, etc...) I could go on for days about ways in which I've seen The Lord work. Hope this helps you.

13. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

Wow, where you been?

14. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

One recent thing has really made my faith grow stronger. It is from watching other Christians around the world being killed for their faith and not giving in to their killers. I understand that this seems strange but if these people had any doubt about God, they would cave in. These people have remained strong in their faith and conviction, even unto death. People aren't so quick to give up their life if they don't truly believe.

From my personal perspective and contrary to some, my life has never been the same. Things that I thought were important are no longer important. I have seen things happen in my life and others around me happen that there is no explanation for. Looking at my environment, the things that I see everyday, people, trees, animals, birds, etc.... I do't see an accident, I see creation.

15. wildnkrazykat

wildnkrazykat Well-Known Member

Praying for you lyls. i don't have time to go into it right now because I'm actually chaperoning a youth church camp trip and am limited in time today, but I questionedeverything, to the point of the whole story & book being made up.

16. wildnkrazykat

wildnkrazykat Well-Known Member

I need to talk to someone like you, who has been called I to the ministry. It's something I'm struggling with right now.

17. Snakeonia

Snakeonia Active Member

got married around Christmas, moved back to TN. I still lurk just haven't posted much.

18. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

Wasn't really sure how to respond to this thread. I'm always in a constant state of doubting my faith. I struggle with every thing.

The only way I can convey it is the futility of The Battle of Gallipoli.

My foundation for not giving up is the Book of James.

And Scrubs

http://youtu.be/8Zq_M00uk8M

19. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

What about when you think of the book being written by men and being made up? How do you get over that kind of doubt?

20. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

With the made up stuff I've always tried to explain as a natural event. Was there a catastrophic flood in mesopotmia?

The Bosphorus?

The Red Sea Crossing?

Moses knew the terrain being brought up in Egypt. It's likely he would know the frequency of the tides.

The wondering for 40 years? IMO, this is one the most outrageous stories taught in the Old Testament. I mean hobestly, Moses didn't know the Sinai? For me the text shows Moses was preparing an invasion force. He needed supplies, weapons and most importantly soldiers. Let's not pretend Moses was a nice person. He used the Levities as a praetorian guard with no respect for life.

Sorry, started soap boxing.

As for James, if it's all made up, was I better person for following the principles that James taught?

I guess I'm a sucker for a first century self help book for dummies.