Reasons to Think Dooley Isn't a Loser

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by kptvol, Oct 29, 2011.

1. Snakeonia

Snakeonia Active Member

Vandy is Vandy, i remember in the mid or late 90's Vandy gave UT fits. plus did vandy at least have a full roster last year? don't act like Vandy doesn't have some good players. grant it i know they've had 3 coaches in 3 years, however last years coach was from the previous regime. its not like they went out and got someone new, plus they didn't basically lose a whole years worth the recruits.

2. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

I don't disagree with any of that, but I didn't see it as a scheme problem. I thought we had guys in the right places who just couldn't make any stops.

I happened to see that drive (and only that drive) on the DD show this morning, and it confirmed that assessment. The defense isn't great by any stretch of the imagination, but I thought they were well prepared and did a good job for what they had.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

Guys, a loss to Vandy and Dooley can go back to La Tech for all I care.

I came into this season expecting a bowl game, and I still do.

4. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Vandy is without their best player, too.

5. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

That if he's behind at halftime he's never won the game?

6. Lexvol

Lexvol Guest

From the outside looking in Wilcox continues to do more with less. If he walked tomorrow he would have a good job by Tuesday.

In regards to all the Kiffin shit, I don't understand what the big deal is. We would be a better team if he and his crew was still here, but it isn't like we could have done anything to keep him.

7. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Yeah, thats kinda getting old, it doesn't mean its not valid, but continuing to point it out in every news conference sounds like he is trying to make it the focus.
    Bray and Hunter going out needs no explanation as to what it does to the team. Everybody knows your thin and young.

8. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Agreed. Nut up and accept some of the blame. It's not like all their decisions have put the young players in ideal situations.

9. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Listened to Doc, Jeff, and Heather a bit this morning. I know, I know. They had a guy call in and ask what the coaches could have done better against SC and also another guy questioned whether Terry Joseph should keep his job. Pretty much said in the same little segment that Joseph is awesome, and if you watched the SC game you'd see that. So basically he gets praise because we played a team with Navy's gameplan and one of our DB's that always been pretty decent in coverage made the 2nd INT of the season by a DB. Then in the next breath they say there was nothing Dooley could have done better (no mention of the wonderfully timed and masterfully executed onside kick or the season-long problem of getting the offensive plays called in quickly) and that the game was all on the players and specifically cited Prentiss Waggner for not getting into the endzone as one guy that let us down. Unbelievable.

10. JayVols

Apparently the Dool-Aide is strong stuff. I am in no way calling for his head, but refusing to criticize mediocre to poor results by a staff is what got the program in the state we find ourselves in to begin with. Burying one's head in the sand is never a solution to any problem.

11. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I'll be very disappointed if there isn't some staff turnover. I get that there are injuries and personnel problems. Those may be corrected in the near future, but if we want to win big when that happens, the coaching issues present today need to not be there when the personnel issues are resolved.

When you think about it, it's almost a reverse Randy Sanders situation. Randy's ineptitude wasn't quite as bad due to the talent he had. So, despite obvious issues, he stayed employed for way too long. Now we've got guys that might get a pass because there is so little talent. Ugh.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2011
  12. Chiutfan

Chiutfan New Member

Yes now that you asked.

1) Dooley is comitted to changing Tennesee football long term. His vol for life is a perfect example of his committment .
    2) He removed bad engery aka engery vampires from the program.
    3) He won games that we shouldve have with sheer imagination, guts and high risks gambles
    4) he isnt being a idiot to every other coach in the sec yet he is already respected for what he can do with nothing.
    5) he took the team at its lowest point. Lets be honest. How many 3 stars and above are on that roster.
    6) He doesnt blames storm or toss players under the bus.
    7) He wont lead us down the road to sanctions, for illegal recruting violations.
    8) he understands the SEC, and I believe what it will take to win in the SEC and the National Level
    9) He doesnt start off every sentence with I, I and I
    10) he doesnt give up, because hes Tennesee damnit he doesnt feel hes entitled to anything he intends to earn his bones.

13. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

Has anyone figured out why we don't employ a RB coach?

Which coaches are you thinking need to go? The only one I can see being replaced is Joseph because of our secondary's inability to keep WR's in front of them. But will Dooley replace him? He came from LA Tech with him...

14. JayVols

I think there are some assistants that need to be examined thoroughly. Some need to go. If CDD values his job, he needs to act. The pulling 'solutions' out of thin air on a whim in a panic (doesn't matter if that's really the case or not, that's what it looks like is happening) isn't going to cut it with the players, fans, or the AD.

15. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

1) Agree
    2) Agree
    3) He's won the games we were supposed to win based on talent.
    4) He hasn't done anything yet. He's respected because he's the HC of Tennessee
    5) Agree
    6) Disagree...there's multiple comments that support this. For the record, I'm okay with him calling out the players.
    7) Agree
    8) I agree that he understands the SEC. I'm just not sold on his coaching abilities or our staff's yet.
    9) He has...but I get what you're saying. I don't think it's about him.
    10) Giving up isn't an option when you're the HC at Tennessee

16. JayVols

Harry Hiestand.

17. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

But is he really the problem? I read on TOOS some of Country Orange's (Chad Clifton) posts and agree with most of what he said. In a nutshell, coming into the season Dooley and Chaney wanted the offense to play to its strength which was passing. This meant that the OL would be utilizing zone blocking because it provided max protection for the QB. Hiestand doesn't decide which blocking schemes the OL will use, that is decided by the HC and OC. Fast forward to losing our strengths in Bray and Hunter and now we're forced to run the ball when the OL has been working on zone blocking for the majority of time. It's not a simple transition - especially with 4 soph's and a junior. They simply haven't worked on the technique enough to be successful.

Another issue is how slow our OL is. I believe they switched to run first and pass second mentality with the LSU game. Our guards (if you've noticed) are now starting to pull for some basic run plays but they are too slow to get into position. You can tell they've been working on it though. You don't struggle to run the ball against Montana, Cincy, Florida, Buffalo, UGA and then all of a sudden find it against LSU and Bama.

18. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

I would almost believe the believe OL zone blocking of Dooley hadn't said we got away from the run after the Florida game.

Ok, Hunter went down, which vastly alters our pass game, in that Hunter isn't doubled, leavin other options open.

But are we really leaning on that? Building scheme around one talent? What happens when we can't replace Hunter?

Oh, wait. I think I see the answer...

19. JayVols

All I will say is that when James Cregg was here, we had better blocking with 2 walk-ons and a freshman tackle that was a converted TE........

Edit: I will also say to look at what happened to the Bears rushing game while he was there. Evidence is mounting.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2011
  20. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

"I thought Cheney's plan was an abysmal failure on offense. This staff doesn't have a clue what to do without Hunter. It's as simple as that. "

What kind of gameplan can you design when you have quarterbacks who can't throw, receivers who can't catch consistently, barely mediocre offensive line play, and average running backs?

I mean, worley missed a couple of open guys in the end zone early, rogers dropped a TD on that long ball, you get crushed for a 3 yard loss on 1st and goal from the 2 and then throw a pick, and then throw another pick after your 2nd turnover...I mean, cash these opportunities and it's a W.

I'm as disgusted as anyone else, and I'm not drinking any Kool-aid, I'm just trying to be real.

Long and short of it, I can't say Dooley's a winner, and I think staff changes are probably justified, I just don't think anybody else would be doing any better with this set of circumstances and anybody can call it an excuse if they want, but isn't it just reality?