Reasons to Think Dooley Isn't a Loser

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by kptvol, Oct 29, 2011.

1. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Regarding gameplan:

I still think we don't work the middle of the field enough. The coaches have publicly acknowledged we don't have a consistent WR outside of Da'Rick, so why not use our TE? It seems like we're more likely to try and split him wide than just run him into the middle. Worley seemed to struggle throwing outside (not sure if that was arm strength or not) so why not give him a huge target over the middle? I'm still disappointed we couldn't come up with something to slow that rushing attack. And I thought the onside kick in a defensive struggle that had been all about field position was a terrible decision given that we're relying on one our worst players this year (Palardy) to make a huge play. He kicked it straight out of bounds, just like last time.

Regarding preparation/development: The OL and DBs haven't improved. Mediocre rushing performances against Bama and LSU teams that were likely sleepwalking the first halves doesn't really prove much. Outside of those two games it's been terrible. One big play in the SC game and not allowing a lot of passing yards to a team that's gone 80% run doesn't mean the DBs have gotten better. Repeat terrible execution on the onside kick, and I have no idea what the punt return team outside of Devrin Young are supposed to be doing makes me wonder why we have a special teams coach.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2011
  2. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

I think this goes back to the zone blocking/max protection issue. I agree though, they don't work the middle of the field enough. Another thing I would like to see more of is screens whether it's RB, TE, or WR.

3. justingroves

justingroves supermod

After watching two Tennessee OL flop while trying to block one (1) SCAR LB, I don't want to ever see another screen play used.

4. justingroves

justingroves supermod

The middle of the field is a dangerous place to throw the ball with a QB that's either A) Terrible (see Simms) or B) not use to the speed of the game (see Worley).

I understand why Chaney avoids it at times, but you have to also keep the defense honest.