REM Disbands.

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by hatvol96, Sep 22, 2011.

Tags:
  1. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

That's nonsense. Almost all of their songs were outwardly focused.

2. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

That's you in the corner...

3. snoball5278

snoball5278 Contributor

[video=youtube;iCQ0vDAbF7s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCQ0vDAbF7s[/video]

4. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

I like REM, although my exposure is mostly from back-listening, and I haven't even scratched the surface of everything they have. But I quite enjoy Automatic for the People (which has one of the best three-song closing stretches out there), Lifes Rich Pageant, and Fables of the Reconstruction.

5. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Always liked At My Most Beautiful.

6. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

It's the end of the world as we know it.

7. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

I thought that Stipe had flipped his shit a long time ago.

8. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

one of the few exceptions.

9. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Automatic and Lifes Rich Pageant are my favorite two REM albums (and two of the best ever). New Adventures in Hi-Fi is really, really good as well. Monster's bad. Out of Time is overrated. I like the first 2 albums awfully well too, especially Murmur, but I can see why they don't have mass appeal.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2015
  10. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Glad you like Fables.Wendell Gee is a favorite of mine.

11. Low Country Vol

Low Country Vol Contributor

I followed them religiously from Chronic Town to Automatic. They peaked for me after their unplugged episode on MTV in 91.

12. Low Country Vol

They are one the unique bands that paid their dues to the top. It was all word of mouth then. It was great time to follow music in Athens in the 80s.

13. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Even after they went downhill the songwriting talent was still there (Mills is the musical genius of the band, IMO, with Buck adding an occasional solid song.). There were always solid melodies and a jewel or two on each album post-Automatic. Lyrics on the last 3 albums or so were absolutely embarrassing though. (Stipe's fault)

14. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

This. I used to go see 'em I. The early 80's at places like the 40 watt before they blew up. Actually met Pete Buck at Wuxtry record shop once. He recommended a Big Star CD that turned out to be really good. I was already familiar with Alex Chilton but chatting with Buck about it was pretty cool.

15. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

REM is reuniting to make a country album. Finding my religion on a dirt road will be released early 2016.

16. Low Country Vol

Those were good days. I saw Pylon at the Cats Cradle in Chapel Hill in 1990. Their most well known song, Crazy, was covered by REM on their Dead Letter Office Album.

17. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Very cool.

18. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

Big Star is fantastic.

19. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

It's this band. Didn't Jack White play for them?

20. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

Big Star and Flamin' Groovies were an absolute fixture in my disc changer for a while in the early 90's... Alex Chilton is extremely under appreciated, imo. A true genius and very much missed.