Report: Previous Gibbs Hall Thefts

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Tenacious D, May 30, 2012.

1. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

The KNS is now reporting that there were more thefts that took place at Gibbs Hall - in fact, several weeks before those that lead to Cam Clear's arrest.

Curiously, two of the four thefts involved two football players - PK Palardy and WR Da'Rick Rogers - which is surprising, given the fact that Coach Dooley claimed to have no knowledge of any previous incidents, when specifically asked by Jimmy Hyams.

For those who have persisted in their refusal to believe that Dooley not only knew about this weeks beforehand, and only told those who came to him (Palardy) that the "team leaders should handle it", instead of taking action himself...or that he did so in aexpat tempt to keep the wraps on Clear's (alleged) involvement, and to get players to aide him in not speaking publicly about it...that gigantic thud you just heard was, "the other shoe".

Maybe this all ends here, and knowing the media in this town, it likely will. But maybe not.

Link: Four earlier burglaries took place in Gibbs Hall » govolsxtra.com Mobile

2. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

I just don't see the big deal in this. Many people already knew about these thefts. Hubbs even reported 3 or 4 weeks ago that Rogers and Palardy had some stuff taken. I don't think Dooley nor any coach owes it to some dipshit like Jimmy Hyams to let him know what's going on if they're trying to handle an issue in house. I would say if Hubbs is reporting this stuff, the entire athletic department knew of the situation and ok'd his reporting it. So, I'm not buying into the conspiracy theory on this one.

3. Tenacious D

It was only a BBQ.

4. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

Lol. I just don't see it. Are you saying that he was hiding this from AD officials or obstructing a police investigation or just not telling Jimmy Hyams all about it? Maybe I'm just not understanding what you're meaning.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

I hear you, Tenny D. Let us hope. Let us pray.

6. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

At the very least he was hiding it from ut officials.

Or so ive heard.

7. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I think this goes away quietly. If, and that's a big if, Dooley pisses the wrong person off, a lot of mud could be slung.

It's not like it takes a rocket scientist to put two and two together though.

8. justingroves

justingroves supermod

One incident, handle it in house. Two, and get him the hell out of here. There should have never been 9 thefts.

9. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

I've definitely heard the "tried to hide it from UT officials" story float around. But I'm kinda with LV here. Everybody knew about it. Even knowing some of the ineptitude we've seen, it's a little hard to believe widespread coverup.

10. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

With Clear off the team, I agree with you.

For Dooley's sake, the best thing Clear could have done was put Dooley in a no way out situation except to boot him like he did.

11. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

The denial to Hyams doesn't bother me. The fact that there were nine thefts does.

Just wish we had more info on whether or not they were all Clear and how much evidence there was pointing to Clear.

12. Tenacious D

This.

Had Dooley's primary concern been to honestly investigate the matter and the person whom was being pegged as the suspect the whole time, albeit alleged, when he was first informed of it....instead of trying to throw it onto "the team" to handle....while trying to convince the victims to remain quiet about the incident...it never would have reached 9 (actually more, that's only what's been reported to law enforcement).

I think that more stuff should be handled internally, so long as that means that it's actually handled - and hopefully, well before a group of concerned parents approaches you, essentially, questioning whether or not you care more about protecting your position as head coach, or in actually being one.

I've heard rumors that Dooley "reported" this to the UTAD in much the same way as Pearl had a "change of heart" two weeks after first lying to the 'AA. That is to say, only when it was overwhelmingly obvious to reach that level, completely on its own.

But again, all of this is just rumor. I have absolutely no real idea as to what actually occurred.

13. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

This

14. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

I think the inference is that Dooley and staff (football, athletic, and university) might have had a chance to handle this. They were unwilling or unable, so it wound up being handled by KPD. That's forgivable.

Later claiming that there was no knowledge and therefore no chance to handle internally is just weak.

I don't know enough about the situation to judge, but if that is indeed what happened, I agree with Tenny. I would also add that the pattern of doing nothing and later claiming no responsibility fits my impression of our football program's leadership style, so I don't find the idea improbable.

15. O+W=H.

O+W=H. New Member

DESTIN, Fla. — Dave Hart said he only knows what the police tell him in regard to recent burglaries at Gibbs Hall on the University of Tennessee campus.

"I know there was theft," the UT athletic director said at the SEC spring meetings Wednesday. "But police handle matters of that nature.

"We don't delve into matters that are inappropriate to be in. If it is a police matter, then it is a police matter."

UT football coach [ddiapos] dismissed sophomore tight end Cameron Clear from the team last Friday, two days after the player was charged with the theft of a laptop from a UT baseball player who resided in Gibbs. No charges have been filed in regard to other thefts reported several weeks earlier from the same dormitory.

Four UT athletes reported thefts of expensive electronic equipment. Overall, nine burglaries occurred at Gibbs in March and April.

Hart said he wasn't aware of all those incidents.

"I wasn't aware of anything unless they bring it to me and hand it to me in a police report," Hart said. "Once the police have done their work, they inform me."

He was asked if his head coach would tell him about such an incident.

"Sure," he said. "We're never surprised by things of that nature. We're informed as facts are verified, then we're informed of what those facts are. That's routine."

16. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

You knew it.
    I knew it.
    [uck fay]ing Marcellus knew it.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

He ain't have no sense of humor about that shit. Know what I'm sayin'?

18. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Personally, I don't give a [uck fay] about anything but winning football games at this point. The sunshine pumpers are [uck fay]ing horrible and their opposite, the Dooley lynch mob, are getting to be just as bad.

19. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

If you care about winning you are by default a member of the mob.

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

Exactly. You can't say all you want is to win and say Dooley should be given more time.