RIP Pat Summitt

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by Savage Orange, Jun 28, 2016.

1. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

2. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Sad news. Horrible disease. She was a great coach and great for Tennessee. True VFL.

3. SetVol13

SetVol13 Contributor

Simply the greatest. It's not just her impact as a coach or her impact on on the game of women's basketball. The impact she made as a Tennessean will never be forgotten. This state is so proud that she is one of us. A true representation of everything that is great about this state.

4. Savage Orange

A woman that would cut short a recruiting trip so she could be sure her son would be born in Tennessee is always gonna be alright by me! We won't see another like her pass our way again, that's for sure.

5. Volalum

Volalum Member

RIP Coach

6. justingroves

justingroves supermod

She is a coaching legend, regardless of how you feel about women's basketball.

One of the first games I had to cover when I worked, as a student, for the Associated Press was a Lady Vols loss. Sitting in the press conference room trying to ask her a question after a loss was legitimately scary. She stared a hole through anyone asking her a question, so I decided I wasn't going to say a word.

We had her on the student radio a few times and she was great.

It's a sad day, but I'm glad she's no longer suffering

7. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

Tennessee bball is going to miss her. She took the program to levels only she could do at Tennessee. We were lucky to have her and will miss her.

8. Savage Orange

My mom died of the same type of dementia/Alzheimer's that Pat had and I agree JG, it was sad but the relief I felt at her passing that she wasn't suffering any more in that broken down shell that carried the spirit that made her, HER was immense... Mom was always a big LV fan and I bet she was waiting for Pat at the pearly gates....

9. TDVol1989

TDVol1989 Always Be Menstruating

Just a legitimate legend. Did it the right way, no big scandals, hard-nosed, disciplined, didn't gripe or make cliché excuses. And, she was loyal. Back in the 80's, I showed up at UT without a care in the world about women's basketball. But, then I found myself going to the games and I absolutely loved her style. Intense and super competitive. And, she just flat out won.

This illness she had is cruel and, as big a loss as this is, it is a relief for her to be moving on.

10. 2Maggitt2Quit

2Maggitt2Quit Chieftain

Will say that the best part of today is reading everyone's story of when they met Pat Summitt. She seemed like a legitimately awesome human being.

11. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Check out Candace Parker's tweet about Pat

12. Savage Orange

Imagine having something like that in your possession... Having been written TO you by one of the greatest coaches (of ANY sport) in history...

13. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

nm, I saw it. Pretty cool stuff for a HS senior.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2016
  14. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Amazing what she accomplished. RIP coach.

15. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

Rip to the best to ever do it.

16. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Maybe not best, but most important. She meant more to that game than anyone else in it.

17. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

Coming in as a freshman in 1975, it was Coach Summitt's second year. Not many people attended games then. The girls had just been moved to Stokley and several of us would go watch them play. Little did I know at that time that I would be watching a future legend. Every time that I ever talked to her, she would always give me encouragement. I will always hold a special place for her in my heart. Yesterday hurt.

18. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Legit respect for Coach Summitt. Not only did she display excellence on the court, she demanded it off the court. Her players knew that they were not only expected to win games, they were expected to be solid human beings and students. 100% graduation rate, that is as impressive as 1098 wins, imo.

I understand why she was successful. As a 12 year-old that held delusions of grandeur of actually being a good basketball player and while attending Don DeVoe's basketball camp, I was at the receiving end of her icy stare and experienced what happened when one's behavior didn't meet her expectations. Let's just say it had something to do with water ballons, female campers dressed up for dinner, many push-ups & sit-ups and enough sprints up and down a hallway of the 7th floor of Humes Hall to puke in a trash can. She earned both my fear and respect that day.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2016
  19. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

100% graduation rate was one of the things I found out about Tuesday, that is pretty impressive.

20. DarthVisor

DarthVisor Active Member