SEC Realignment Discussion (Merged)

Discussion in 'VOLuminous' started by hatvol96, Oct 20, 2011.

1. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

RockyTopTalk's version (A Proposal for New SEC Divisions - Rocky Top Talk)

2. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Mississippi State, Ole Miss, South Carolina, Kentucky, and Vandy need to be somewhat evenly distributed due to their suckiness.

3. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

Agreed. As of right now things are kind of even. We have Vandy, Kentucky, and South Carolina and the West has Ole Miss, Miss St, and Arky.

4. Chiutfan

Chiutfan New Member

I say we gotta play bama every year ... thats one of the oldest battles in college football.

5. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

Having worked with both Auburn and Alabama fans for a little while I've noticed that the Auburn fans are the ones who see the Iron Bowl as their biggest game every year. Alabama fans are split. The majority of them see the Iron Bowl as a bragging rights rivalry game but the Tennessee game is by far a more hated rivalry. I'll ask some Bama fans today if they had to give up one game which one would it be...should make for some fun field research.

6. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

Had this conversation quite a bit with bammers earlier in the decade, and they were pretty unanimous that Tennessee was bigger for them. Our struggles coupled with AU's title/Cam have shifted things as of late.

7. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

I'm merging these because I think it is interesting speculation, and it is easier to find the realignment discussion if it is limited to one place.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2011
  8. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

The new conference actually divides fairly well North to South.

Kentucky, Tennessee, Vandy, UGa, SoCar, Missouri, and Arkansas.

Florida, LSU, Bama, Auburn, Miss1, Miss2, A&M.

I took a bit of liberty with Georgia's geography, but I think it makes sense. With one game inter-division rivals, you can still protect UT/Bama, and you can add Arkansas and A&M. You would lose either Georgia/Florida or Georgia/Auburn and UT/Florida, but you can't have everything.

It isn't exactly balanced in today's football conference, but I'm not sure that over all sports and over a longer time that there is a more even split.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2011
  9. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

Field Research Findings:

- 9 different gumps were asked "Who would you choose to keep in the situation of losing either the Auburn or Tennessee rivalry?"

- All 9 gumps responded that they would rather keep the Tennessee game.

- Reasons for keeping Tennessee over Auburn ranged from "Auburn always has been little brother and always will be" to "I hate Auburn and hope they lose every game, but I hate the color orange and anything Tennessee related more."

- The majority of the gumps promptly followed their answer up with extremely high compliments of Dooley and think he will get things turned around sooner than later. *noted fear in the eyes of 2 gumps*

10. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

If you read message boards or comments on articles about expansion, it seems like more Bama fans would keep UT if they had to pick.

Still, I feel like most Bama fans would prefer Auburn. My friend is a student at Bama and I have little doubt they consider Auburn a bigger rival.

11. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Out of curosity, are you in northern or southern Alabama? I've often been told geography plays a big role in determining which you hate more.

12. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

Northern Alabama. That would makes sense though. I'm sure the Southern Gumps would favor the Auburn game due to the proximity. What's interesting though is I wonder how the Auburn grads are spread throughout the state. I would assume most of them would be located here in Northern Alabama because of all the engineering that goes on. Most of the engineers I know are Auburn grads with a few Miss. St grads mixed in.

13. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

No clue. That's just what I have always heard. Around Huntsville and north the Bammers hate UT more, but the farther south you go the more it switches to Auburn.

14. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

Add Missouri to the east instead of Auburn, let them have A&M as their cross-division rival and all is protected.

15. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Hear some talk that says just that.

A+M to the west
    Missouri to the east

16. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I just hope that if Missouri and Tennessee are somehow in the same division, we get them early in the season. Don't want to head up there in November.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

We'd be fine in the cold. These guys practice early in the morning in November. That can be pretty cold in East Tennessee.

18. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Should have said "I don't want to head up there in November".

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

Okay, forget about what I said about forgetting about geography.

We just need to focus on REAL geography, rather than the perception of geography.

I am tempted to do this today, and if I do I will post the results:

Take a look at the road travel-time distance between each school in the conference, and break the conference up so that each division has a relatively equal average travel time between it's division opponents.

Thoughts?

20. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Sounds good.

However, they need to stick Mizzou in the East and be done with it. [uck fay] all kinds of realignment.