Some Battle of Bristol Plays in Slo Mo.

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by MWR, Sep 12, 2016.

Tags:
  1. MWR

MWR Contributor

I hope to post some more of these as time allows......

Somebody tell me what went wrong here.

[video=youtube;yghNCXIX3MI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yghNCXIX3MI&feature=youtu.be[/video]

2. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Hate to keep saying it, but no feet. Whenever you see linemen falling down fully extended like a big oak falling, they do not have their feet under them. Watch our left guard. Was reaching from the get go.

3. MWR

MWR Contributor

There was a hole, but then it went away.

[video=youtube;r8KQ-QSGCOo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8KQ-QSGCOo&feature=youtu.be[/video]

4. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Left guard looked like he was asleep for the first 4 steps. Almost like he didn't know if he should take the d-tackle or the lb behind him. By then, it was too late.

5. NorrisAlan

Why did we even have that TE in the play when all he did was run out and do nothing?

A fullback there could have sealed that LB inside leaving a big lane, but no, cannot have that.

#6 (corner or LB?) crashed in as soon as he saw the TE go out into coverage.

I enjoy taking stabs at these things and seeing how close I am to the real pro's in their analysis! Keep it up.

6. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

Looked like the running back should have stayed in to help block.

7. MWR

MWR Contributor

Looks like somebody needed to block. :)

8. NorrisAlan

You think so? It is 5v4 and our 5 got whipped by their 4. Hurd was playing his role as a release valve (and he was shadowed as well), but Dobbs never looked that way or didn't have time to do so. Our o-line was just ass kicked.

9. MWR

MWR Contributor

Looks like a man among boys, but this kind of running could result in a lot of wear and tear on your RB.

[video=youtube;zyvCpRh1AyU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyvCpRh1AyU&feature=youtu.be[/video]

10. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

Jalen Hurd isn't that fast.

11. NorrisAlan

Hahah. Pulling guard AND a pulling TE and they completely ignore the LB/Safety charging down the point of attack.

And I feel for Hurd. A running back only has so many hits in them, and this is costing him a shit ton of money.

12. dc4utvols

dc4utvols Contributor

Looked like a bigger hole on the left where the DE shot straight up field...#6 was there but I would take that match up all day long...also would have had to hit it before #60 cleared his man.

13. kidbourbon

He runs like he runs because he isn't shifty or fast.

14. JayVols

Hard to get going forward to run block from a 2 pt stance. Some had to take false drop steps to get going. Also, first movement is to ride up instead of out. You about have to ride up to get going. I just find it totally stupid to run out of a 2 pt stance. Puts you OL at a disadvantage from the start.

15. JayVols

But they had 6 in the box counting LBs.

16. JayVols

Holy hell. That guard think that blitzer was crashing to say hi? If an opposite color jersey crosses your face, pick it up. Just a total lack of spatial awareness. Panic and block no one if the D "isn't where they are supposed to be" is what looks like happened here.

17. JayVols

The play isn't designed to be fast. You've got to let your pulling guard and Hback, that is coming from the opposite side of the formation, clear first. This is effectively the old counter trey the Redskins with the Hogs and John Riggins ran to perfection in the 80s. The only difference is the Hback is substituting for the pulling backside tackle.

18. kidbourbon

What do you mean by "designed to be fast"? Any play will benefit when, all else being equal, the running back is a step quicker.

19. MWR

MWR Contributor

Is this the ole "Let'em run into the backfield" play?

[video=youtube;dMGW99Gxfbc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMGW99Gxfbc&feature=youtu.be[/video]

20. kidbourbon

Duh. It's a classic play.