Summer Olympics 2016: Rio

Discussion in 'Sports' started by NorrisAlan, Jun 2, 2016.

1. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

The more I read about this thing, the more I find how detestable it is. Coming two years off of a World Cup, spending billions on that, the country is spending billions more on a Summer Olympics.

And I just saw a story about how sail racing contestants are having to dodge trash in the bay where they practice. Plastic bags, chairs, flip flops, everything. Oh yeah, and some small problem with raw sewage.

And that country is bordering on a civil breakdown as well, not to mention the Zika virus. If I was a contestant, I would think twice about going, but I know that I would choose to go in the end. These are people that have dedicated their lives to this one event, and to miss a four year cycle could be the end of them.

But still, what an unmitigated disaster for Brazil.

2. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

they bid when oil was twice the price. really they should have backed out.

3. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

The Olympics should be in the USA, every single time.

4. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

I'm cool with just the Western Hemisphere.

5. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Alternate between Atlanta and Athens, IMO.

6. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

I will say that despite the fact that there were a lot of concerns prior to the World Cup, I had an amazing time when I was there. However, things have gotten worse and the Olympics doesn't mean nearly as much to them.

7. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

I would have to think that I would make the sensible decision to not participate if I were getting in the water.

8. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

9. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Almost started this the other day when I saw Bolt got injured.

10. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

My neighbor just qualified for the high jump. She a skinny thing with nothing but muscle.

11. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

I wonder what the participants / spectators might contract, and bring home.

Some stories out now about some new strain of "super-resistant" bacteria or some shit?

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

Already here. Get used to it, will be a leading cause of death in 20 years some say

13. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

****ing hell, IP.

See what your atheism does to people?

14. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

I'm not going to watch any of this.

15. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

Don't look at me. I saw Oldvol's signature and converted to polytheistic Hinduism. He finally convinced me. All gods must be real, otherwise we wouldn't have to not believe them. Case closed. Must be one of you Abrahamic atheists who don't believe in 99.9 % of gods.

17. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

If you're looking for something good to watch for, Aries Merritt, a former Vol and current world record holder in the 110m hurdles, is trying to qualify for the Olympics a year after getting a kidney transplant.

Also, looking at the swimming trials from a week ago, Michael Phelps is ****ing unreal.

18. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Faster than zika?

19. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

DJ withdraws from the golf competition. Just cancel these Olympics already, for everyone's sake.

20. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Every top rated woman will be there.