Tennessee History Thread

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by MaconVol, Dec 14, 2015.

1. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

I am currently getting a Tennessee History final ready for a student and I got to thinking that we should have a thread about Tennessee History. What interests you the most about Tennessee history, or geography for that matter? I really enjoy reading about the religious explosion that came along while the Europeans were settling Tennessee.

2. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Davey Crockett and Andrew Jackson

The TVA and how it changed the state and the South, but that's not necessarily just Tennessee history.

3. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

The political leanings of the State prior to 1861 are pretty fascinating, leading up to East Tennessee to have to be "occupied" by the Confederacy. Not to mention revisionist history of this fact in the 20th century.

That said, I know next to nothing about Tennessee History. I am more of a National/World History kind of guy.

4. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

The Franklin story is pretty neat to me.

The State of Franklin, not the city...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_of_Franklin

Last edited: Dec 14, 2015
  5. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Check out the Greeneville Convention. Pretty interesting to note how the idea of the Confederacy wasn't as universal in the South as people might think (Or the stick on the back of their vehicle might not represent the side in which their ancestor fought with.). Also note that the first vote for secession in 1861 failed, but the second one passed when Lincoln asked for each state to provide troops to suppress the rebellion.

6. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

East Tennessee was sympathetic to the Union, except for Sullivan County, (Kingsport and Bristol). Perhaps that is why Major John S. Mosby, known as the "Gray Ghost" who used guerrilla tactics fighting the Union forces lived for a time in Bristol.

7. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

Named after Ben Franklin of course, the area of East Tennessee roughly encompassing Sullivan, Washington, Carter, Greene and Unicoi Counties was proposed as a new territory to split the area off from North Carolina. The capitol named Rocky Mount, has been reconstructed and is open for visitors on Hwy US 11-E between Johnson City and Bristol.

8. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

I find Tennessee history fascinating, especially that involving East Tennessee. One incident involves my mother's ancestors, Robert and Alfred Taylor. They were brothers who both were Governors of Tennessee as well as State Representatives. The fascinating part is they also once ran against each other for Governor, and the campaign became known as Tennessee's "War of the Roses". One wearing a white rose and the other a red one as they traveled across the state debating each other. They shared hotel and Inn rooms, sometimes sharing a bed. Large crowds of more than 25,000 people turned out to hear them as they were gifted orators, and the story gained national press attention. Their typical debate would last an hour with each taking a turn at the podium, and then after a short break, they both would play the fiddle. Bob the elder who lost, wrote a book based on the experiences called "Second Fiddle". One time Alf stole Bob's speech notes and as he was first up that night, Bob was stunned to hear his brother give his speech. Speaking strictly off cuff, Bob was acclaimed the "winner" that night. Later after retiring from political life, they went on a national tour recreating the campaign debates, and made quite a financial success from it. Reports of between $75k to $100k at a time when men worked for a dollar a day.

9. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

I just drove thru the Cumberland Gap tunnel.

Some interesting history there. Less Ky being on the other side.

My job has allowed me to see about every inch of this state.

10. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

In my neck of the world

11. Beechervol

Staying in Middlesboro. Headed to Tazwell for a job in the morning.

12. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Middlesboro is an interesting place. I like Cumberland Gap and Harrogate though.

Tazwell depending on the area could be out there.

13. Beechervol

I just drove from Pikeville. Ive seen plenty of interesting.

Nothing better than seeing the TN state line sign.

14. Savage Orange

Although extremely well documented, the history of Cade's Cove (and the entirety of the GSMNP as a whole..) never fails to interest me.

15. MWR

MWR Contributor

The best thing about Kentucky is seeing their state line sign get smaller in your rear view mirror as you drive into Tennessee.

16. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

Mammoth Cave is pretty cool. Speaking of caves, Tennessee has TONS of caves if you like spelunking.

17. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

If you have a student in need of a topic for a paper, then have them check out Parson Brownlow. Plenty of fascinating material there.

18. Savage Orange

The 10-20 point IQ spike is nice too...

19. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Greenville, TN is the only city in the former confederate states to have monuments to both Union and Confederate troops, IIRC.

And Greenville was the home (and now, final resting place) of Andrew Johnson, too.

20. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

I'd like for every Tennessee student to be taught, and required to successfully pass, a course entitled, "Why Andrew Jackson Was the Greatest President of All-Time: Everyone agrees and if you don't, then you're not only wrong, but your mother is undoubtedly a whore."