Tennessee to spend a week of training camp at Milligan College

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by MaconVol, May 17, 2012.

1. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

These quotes are from Brent Hubbs, [ddiapos], and Dave Hart: Remember the Titans anyone?

The team will be there August 9-15th.

Per Hubbs-
    Per Dooley-
    Per Hart-
    Link-http://www.utsports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/051712aaa.html

I personally like the idea, thoughts?

Last edited: May 17, 2012
  2. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

I like it. When I was a high school coach here in bama, we use to go to Marion Military Institute in Marion, AL. for a week. The kids hated it at first but it has a way of bringing teammates together. If they strictly live, eat and breathe football for a week, no outside distractions can be a very good thing! Guys I coached over the years when we get together love to retell the old stories that came out of that place.

3. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

Maybe somebody will beat the piss out of Da'Rick while they are there.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

It is an excellent idea. It couldn't have been Dooley's.

5. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

As a Milligan alum I think it's cool, but two soccer fields and a fieldhouse that is just wanting to fall apart? I question the size of it I guess. There's also no "real" weight room. The no distraction thing will definitely be in full effect

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

Don't think they'll need a weight room at that stage.

The program might kick some money Milligan's way to fix some stuff up.

7. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

One of our JC guys needs to be giving us daily updates.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

Dooley's Junction Boys.

9. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Que? Milligan doesn't even have football. I get the team bonding thing. I just have serious doubts about logistics.

10. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

I'm sure they are. But the practice fields they will be using are two soccer fields that have never been in good shape and Steve Lacy Fieldhouse has more leaks and cracks in it than I can remember. No way that stuff gets fixed by August. It will be nitty gritty, down to grassroots football practice. Jason Witten's HS is just up the road (Elizabethton HS) and Happy Valley High School is even closer. Alex Walls used to practice there. Speaking of that, goalposts will have to be brought in, as well as all tackling and other dummy equipment. I fully believe that this move exactly what they claim, a way to keep the football players and staff out of the way while they move into the new complex.

11. chavisut

What is so difficult about it?

12. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

We should be able to pull a favor card and attend a few days, Bill.

13. JayVols

Not being an ass at all- serious question- have you ever been to Milligan?

Just don't think they have the space to get everything done. If all they were going to do was scrimmage, fine. But, drills take space. Some drills take lots of space. I agree with Bill on the facilities issue. Unless they've made some major upgrades in the last 5-10 years, I just don't see it.

Last edited: May 17, 2012
  14. chavisut

I haven't but I have seen a few soccer fields in my day.

15. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

I wholeheartedly agree and don't think I'm not about to try haha.

They are saying they are using the two soccer fields which are very spacious and the Fieldhouse. They'll have the room. It's just going to be a culture shock for a lot of the vets at least. That could be a good thing. The soccer fields are bigger than a football field. My biggest question is the dorms and eating. Are they going to bring the Milligan cafeteria workers in to feed the players? It would be easy, just an added cost. I can only assume they're going to use Webb Hall and they really aren't horrible, but nothing like what they are used to.

16. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

My guess is they will move the weight room with them and set up somewhere.

I know nothing of Milligan itself, so I can't comment on that, but overall, I like the idea.

17. JayVols

It might be fine. Just skeptical, atm.

18. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Eh, it's just a week to get players and coaches out of the way so they can finish the move.

It could end up being a great team builder too

19. JayVols

I have a connection with Wes Holly the softball coach at Milligan. One of our assistants in softball was a GA last year. I will try to pull some strings if anyone is interested.

20. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

Coach Holly is one of the nicest, craziest people you will ever meet.

If I wanted to talk to Mark Fox, I could really find out what possibilities exist as far as getting into the practices. Not sure if I want to do that. NYY, would you?