Terrifyingly Shocking Data

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Tenacious D, May 5, 2015.

1. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

For those paying attention, while this article has some bright spots, it offers some startling contrasts, too. Such as this:

(Emphasis mine)

What in the hell are 40% of Americans thinking, here? Seriously, someone explain this to me, or at least try to.

For those who think that political correctness is not a threat to liberty and a democratic government, please read this.

Link: http://www.washingtonpost.com/rweb/...9799e4e824b74e4b6c1_story.html?tid=kindle-app

2. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

I think it is. We agree on lotsa things, Tenny.

3. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

Why does this debate remind me of the great 8th/VN rift?

4. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

5. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

SJW's are doing work. How ever its going to be interesting what happens when protected classes start going after each other.

6. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Oh please, dear? For your information, the Supreme Court has roundly rejected prior restraint.

7. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

My dad used to tell me, this is the greatest country in the world. There are men and women willing to give their lives to defend our Constitution, and now there are people that think the rights our country was built on go a little too far.

To anyone that thinks this, [uck fay] you.

8. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

somehow or other the "offense culture" has gotten out of control. I'm not sure where or how or why.

9. Tenacious D

Yes, we do.

10. kidbourbon

Indeed

11. Tenacious D

You're right - it was exactly that, at it's heart.

Some could speak their minds with impunity, and others could not.

Some subjects were acceptable, others were not.

Some opinions were valued, others were not.

12. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Everyone wins and no one loses and don't hurt my feelings by not giving me a trophy.

Or, a shorter answer, soccer.

13. kidbourbon

Pretty funny

14. justingroves

justingroves supermod

But seriously, shithead parents raised shithead kids that think the world revolves around them. Now, we're on a second generation of shithead kids turned shithead parents raising whiny ass hole kids that think everything should be gave to them.

If you disagree with them, they can yell "hurt feelings" or "racism" and people bend over backwards to chastise others.

15. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

See, now, that's offensive

16. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I wish no one lost in soccer. my rec team is pretty good at it

17. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

kidbourbon is into the offense culture.

18. Tenacious D

And that it's the American Press, and particualrly political cartoonists, who seem to go along with the notion that voluntary censorship is somehow more palatable, or even "right" - is equally appalling.

Notice that the article mentions the winning cartoon...describes it...but neither shows nor links to it.

That's horseshit.

Look - as a Christian, I am troubled, sometimes quite deeply, by any exhibition which does not reflect favorably or accurately on my personal belief system. I am incensed by the burning of the American flag, as a citizen, but even moreso as a Veteran (and to be clear, I'm not sure that I buy the argument that being a vet affords anyone of some super-keen or "better" form of patriotism, myself included, but neither am I certain that it does not). Quick aside: I'd like to think that I could witness someone burning the flag in protest, without immediate and direct intervention - but I don't know that I could, for certain. But my personal and illegal action aside, I do know that I would maintain my belief in their right to do it. But my personal disdain and anger aside, I accept other's basic right to express those things, and in those ways - without regard to what I think, or how I feel, about their doing so.

And I think that those are the rules that we all must live by, and have agreed. And I fail to see how anyone's personal beliefs or feelings should deter or diminish that right, and it's free exercise.

And that's what I feel like is happening here. And in many other places or situations, and with alarming frequency.

And I am sincerely troubled by it.

19. justingroves

justingroves supermod

See, if you're burning a flag and someone beats the hell out of you, I would be okay with that.

If you draw a cartoon of Mohammed, I don't think you should be shot, but I do think you're being a **** just to get a reaction from someone but you have every right to do it.

20. Tenacious D

I won't say anything too specific, because I don't know what nut-jobs might read it, or attempt to act on it...

But if you want to obliterate someone's optimism in the average American, or fearful for the generations that we are raising - and will someday lead us all, I cannot think of a better, quicker or more certain means than to become involved in youth sports.

You cannot fathom the things that go on, and not even out of blind ignorance, but of willful and intentional actions, and in full awareness of the harm which it will cause to others.

It is alarming how many grown adults fail to consider the harm done to their own child, much less to any others. It's often despicable.

It is this fact, and my increasing awareness of it, which has given me pause in the plight of teachers, to be honest. For sure, I still think it's an irrevocably broken system, and will soon implode on itself...but teachers must see these things, too, and a hundred-fold.