The 8th Book Club

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Indy, May 7, 2014.

1. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Alright guys, it's almost summer, which means more time for Indy to devote to reading. There had been some discussion from some people (or maybe it was just KB) about reading DFW's Infinite Jest. Anyone still interested in reading it and discussing it on here from time to time? Another alternative might be to read something else by DFW. I spoke with a professor today, and he said reading Infinite Jest isn't just something to do in spare time, it's a lifestyle. He recommended some of DFW's nonfiction, saying he actually found it a little more enjoyable and similarly thought provoking.

I'm open to suggestions.

The normal insults are always welcome as well. Bring it on, you old farts.

Participants for Infinite Jest:

Indy
    KB
    IP
    emain
    gcb
    Kat
    Volfanjo
    NYY

Last edited: May 15, 2014
  2. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

3. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

4. CardinalVol

I also am a huge fan of this one -

[​IMG]

5. CardinalVol

If you prefer some suspense and mystery -

[​IMG]

6. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I should have seen this coming.

7. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

My kid is a fan, also likes Llama llama mad at mama. Eric Carle books are a hit.

8. CardinalVol

"Llama Llama Time to Share" is also a hit at our house. Nor sure we have "Mad at Mama". Dolly hasn't sent us that one.

9. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

ever the timeless classic:

[​IMG]

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

11. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

12. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

Infinite Jest is definitely on my list. I also want to read House of Leaves; I got it a couple years back but have yet to take it on.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

Got this book in high school, and it is profound:

[​IMG]

A decade later I got to drink scotch with the author at the Bistro in Knoxville after my friend was able to bring him to visit UT. It was awesome. Really recommend his stuff.

14. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

Methinks the time is now.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 8, 2014
  15. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

But first, since it is summer and, going to an all-male school, you probably haven't seen a piece of puss in several months, you might want to try something like this for size:

[​IMG]

There's no shame in giving it a read. Coming back from a drought is tough. Seeing a moist vag after 9 months surrounded by dong can get a man excited...almost like the first time he ever gets a piece. And I can't speak for anybody else, but the first time I ever got a piece it went insertion, stroke, stroke, oh shit I'm in trouble...gotta get one more stroke in though, quick stroke, emotions on her navel, "we can totally go again, but can we maybe drive to another spot....the bowling alley security guard was wandering around the parking lot and probably saw all six or seven seconds of that".*

Last edited: May 8, 2014
  16. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Laughed at kid. The man paints a picture.

17. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

He's the perverted Van Gogh

18. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I'm gonna start a list. We will go with Infinite Jest for now, but if no one signs up besides KB and myself, we will switch to something less demanding. Let me know if you wanna be on the list.

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

I'm in.

20. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

I'll give it a go. May tap out on Infinite Jest but I'll try my damndest

Can I nominate The Yiddish Policemen's Union for the rotation? Been wanting to read it for a while anyway.