The 8th Maxim Randy Mario Poffo Memorial Wrestling Thread

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by emainvol, Aug 14, 2011.

1. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

He did. But it was Bret’s idea and SCSA has said many times he trusted Bret explicitly to pull it off. Totally agree with you that without it, the match isn’t even close to what it turned out to be.

2. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

I also encourage anybody who hasn’t already, to check the Undertaker interviews he’s been doing around his Last Ride documentary.

He did a long one with Bill Simmons and one with Peter Rosenberg, as two that I can remember right now. There were a couple other I listened that I might have to find.

3. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Jim Cornette said it best: "It was believable"

4. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

The NWO thing went on waaay too long and ran me out of watching it pretty much altogether. I've never gone back for more than an hour or two here and there. Nevertheless, Kevin Nash and Scott Hall's simple arrival on set was a pretty big moment as well. I'll never forget the crowd screaming, "Diesel! Diesel!" and someone on the broadcast saying something like, "The crowd wants you to do something Bobby," to Bobby Heenan. The Hogan moment eclipsed it by a wide margin, but the early days of NWO was pretty good entertainment.

CardinalVol likes this.
  5. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

Been watching the A&E docs.

Mick Foley is such a good dude (love).

6. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Mick Foley is one of the greatest humans alive.

He did some stuff for a friend of friend with ALS that was above and beyond what would have been above and beyond.

7. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

If the current rumors are any indication, AEW is about to be lit

8. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Or they are about to have too many people with way too much creative control.

The Dooz likes this.
  9. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

That would be the one problem I could see coming out of it

I’m going to be in Chicago for Rampage and All Out, so hopefully I’ll get the debut of a certain tattooed superstar. I want to see what that pop is like

justingroves likes this.
  10. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I've tried, I can't like the young bucks.

PilotFlyingJ likes this.
  11. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Way better as heels because they are so douchey

Still, they are like the 8th and 9th best heels in the company. They lost a lot of my good will when they dragged the “will they or won’t they join Kenny and Don and Good Brothers” storyline for about 2 months longer than necessary.

12. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Don Callis, on the other hand, is just a fantastic character

13. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I like FTR a lot better, I just don't want to see the bucks in the ring

PilotFlyingJ likes this.
  14. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Great shithead

15. justingroves

justingroves supermod

A true summer of Punk where he goes to Japan, TNA, ROH and AEW with whatever title he wins will be awesome

emainvol likes this.
  16. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Jericho walking out to the Houston crowd singing Judas a cappella was a lot cooler than I imagined it would be

17. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Welp, tonight we are either going to see the pop to end all pops, or the Bulls and Blackhawks are going to make temporary arrangements while repairs are made. Either way, it should be entertaining

18. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

AEW: We are going to be nothing like the WWE.

Also AEW: Please join us in welcoming…

Big Show
    Jericho
    Dean Ambrose
    Big Show
    Mark Henry
    Christian
    Matt Hardy
    Rusev
    Goldust
    Neville
    The Revival
    Jack Swagger

Daniel Bryan (?)
    CM Punk (?)

19. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

I mean, all of those guys are being used differently than they were in WWE, except maybe Jericho and Hardy, and outside of Jericho’s title run (which was necessary and very good) those two have mainly just helped elevate younger, homegrown types.

I guess you could argue Christian since he’s getting the title shot at All Out but I don’t think he’s in that spot if Hangman isn’t on paternal leave

Rusev, Ambrose, Neville and the Revival in particular are more interesting now than they ever were.

So I would argue that the way they utilize guys that were in WWE highlights the differences in the product far more than any similarities

And until Punk and Bryan actually walk out, the most over guy in the company (Hangman) has never stepped foot in WWE nor has the most over woman (either Thunder Rosa or Britt Baker)

20. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

God I love professional wrestling