The best way to help others?

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Aug 12, 2017.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

I'm about to have a little more free time than I've had in a very long time. I'd like to start volunteering or something. What are some good causes, charities, or activities that should be supported more?

Just looking for a broader set of ideas rather than just what I think of before I start narrowing down the options.

It is fine to suggest whatever, but I am hesitant to work with religious groups unless it is a very well done program with proven and sustainable positive outcomes for people regardless of whether they choose to "come to Jesus" or whoever else. And it would need to be a reasonably trustworthy group, such as the Catholic Church or something. No Scientology bullshit or a weirdo trying to make six figures running a small nonprofit by prostituting Jesus.

Obviously I'd prefer something nonreligious, but it isn't a hard requirement as long as they don't mind that I don't believe and won't believe.

2. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Big brother?

3. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Working with children is always a good thing. So many kids are growing up without parents. Perhaps big brother or something like that?

Edit TT beat me to it

4. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Yes, Big Brother Big Sister will ALWAYS need male volunteers.

5. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Do you have any particular skills that the average joe would not have that would prove useful in a charitable fashion?

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

Not in a social, direct way. I have worked with environmental nonprofits before. Those are things that are good for a community, but I am looking for something that will force me out of my comfort zone. Big Brother is a good suggestion and I'm putting it on the short list.

EDIT: I could tutor children or adults. I do have experience teaching science for 10 to 60 year olds.

7. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I was hoping for skills more in line with Liam Neeson from Taken. Free hostage recovery would be a great charity.

8. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Also, where do you live?

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

Arlington, VA

No cool skills. I can identify plant sperm really well.

10. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

There's probably a St. Jude's there. Sometimes they like volunteers to just play with the kids. I had a referral when I went though. Not sure how it would go if some random guy calls inquiring about helpless children.

11. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Identify = apparently, imho.

12. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

I'm a big believer in youth charities as well. Big Brothers Big Sisters is great and Boys & Girls Club is another option. There is a local LGBT youth nonprofit we've been fortunate enough to work with since moving down here. It's kind of awesome seeing the kids grow and benefit from the support of these organizations.

13. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Anything to do with kids, boys and girls club, St Jude, anything like that.

14. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Boys and girls club.

15. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

I laughed at reasonably trustworthy and Catholic Church in the same sentence.

16. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

Habitat for Humanity
    Make A Wish
    volunteer at your local VA hospital
    Ronald McDonald House

17. Volgrad98

Volgrad98 Contributor

Helping with kids or the elderly, that's my suggestion.

18. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

The tutoring thing can be pretty cool. I taught pre-GED essay writing classes at the literacy association, working with adults from 20 yrs to 60 yrs who had dropped out of high school, lost their way for whatever reason, but were trying to get back on track and complete the GED.

They weren't required to be there...they were finally taking the initiative, which I respected. There's a lot of lazy and a lot of quit out there...if you're willing to help yourself, I'm willing to help you too.

19. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

That is something to keep in mind. You will feel more rewarded if you are working with people that don't feel entitled to your help, but instead are happy that you've sacrificed the time.

20. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

Inova Children's would love to have you.