The Cincinnati Reds

Discussion in 'Sports' started by emainvol, Aug 11, 2011.

1. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Votto is reportedly close to an extension.

[uck fay]. Yes.

2. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

That is awesome news.

3. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Holy [uck fay]

12 yrs, 251 million. Bobby C has apparently decided to open the checkbook.

4. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Well, it's a 10 yr 225 million dollar extension. The other 26 million is what's left of his last extension.

5. Well it looks like there is a damn good chance Votto will retire a Red. I like that.

6. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

Christ, I didn't see that coming.

7. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Nor did I. I believe it was John Fay that said there was an "increase in the revenue stream." That sounds really good to me.

8. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Got to say, didn't expect this, and think they are kind of crazy for doing it.

We'll see I suppose.

9. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

It's definitely a risk. But he's your best player. Lock him up and hope you win enough and make enough to not financially handicap yourself. These types of contracts are going to be the norm now. Especially after seeing how the Cards didn't lock up Pujols.

10. CardinalVol

The thing is, 75% of Cardinal fans are glad we didn't lock him up for what the Angels did.

11. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

That's true. But what if he had been locked up sooner is more along the lines of what I was saying.

12. CardinalVol

Dollars and cents wise it wouldn't have mattered. I just think it is insanity for any mid or small market team to invest that much in one player. The financials will just not work on it if you want to be competitive.

13. Votto walking after 2013 would have crippled this franchise for the foreseeable future. If it bites us in the ass on the back end of the contract it will still be worth it since this all but guarantees we will be in contention for the next 6-7 years minimum.

14. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Wouldn't really mind the Reds being competitive. Been going up there yearly when the Cards come to town. Hated to see that park being wasted on the crap they were putting out there for a few years. And I LOVE to hate Brandon Phillips, even if in truth I kind of like him.

15. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

If they perform to capabilities, the Reds win the division by 5 plus games.

16. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

I must admit, this is the best I've felt about the Reds since 1995.

17. This is the year that Bruce and Cueto put it all together and become legitimate stars.

18. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Yeah, it was pretty nice to see Cueto picking up where he left off from last year, Marshall and Chapman* throwing filth, Bruce** not swinging at the same down and away pitch that probably represented 50% of his swinging strikeouts from last year, Stubbs picking the perfect situation to bunt and drawing a... holy [uck fay] Drew Stubbs drew a walk, and Phillips working the count for the first time in his career. Hopefully all those things continue throughout the rest of the season.

* - Two things here. First, Chapman added at least one pitch in that absolutely filthy splitter he threw to Reyes yesterday. I also heard that Madson was working with him on a changeup, which brings us to the second thing. If and when Bailey implodes like he always does, the very moment that Bray and Masset are both healthy, Chapman should be given his shot in the rotation.

** - Skinny Bruce's offseason and first game are encouraging. He finally looks like he has figured out the work it will take in order to realize his potential. He slimmed down, his swing looked more fluid and judging by the mammoth shot he hit late in the game, he didn't lose a damn bit of power in the process. He also seemed much more patient at the plate. If Bruce and Votto get going, this team is going to be absolutely great.

19. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Watching him yesterday and a bit during the spring, I am glad that the Reds locked Bruce up for awhile. That contract is going to look like a fleecing by the time it's over.

Actually, you can say that same thing for Cueto.

20. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Haha, I believe it was Chris Heisey's double from yesterday when Bonafacio hit the fence. If you watch the bullpen closely, you will see Mike Leake (I think) stand up and begin laughing hysterically.