The Final Bow

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Low Country Vol, Jan 14, 2016.

1. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

He was a guilty pleasure of mine, especially as I got older and appreciated his talent more. I'm not devastated like I was when Adam Yauch died, but I am kind of bummed. Those who weren't around in the 80s don't realize how big the guy was back then, on par with Michael Jackson.

2. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

Willie Nelson and Keith Richards still chuggin' right along.... Just sayin'!

*** now that I say that, they'll both be dead inside of 48 hours***

3. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

Thunder from Diamonds and Pearls was rocked several thousands times in the 67 Dart slant 6 rap mobile.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

There are college students here weeping because Prince is dead. I bet they couldn't of picked him out of a line up yesterday. There is this growing phenomenon of trying to make celebrities into personal friends when they die.

I had a roommate that tried to tell me that I just didn't understand when Robin Williams died, how he grew up with him and was a big part of his childhood. He was 24. He also was amazed when I wasn't torn up about Leonard Nimoy dying. Uh, sorry he passed but he was up there and had a great run. I also had no real relationship with him. We don't live forever.

5. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

The only thing I could have told you about Prince prior to today was that he was a musician.

6. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Prince could ball.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

Game. Blouses.

8. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

First Chyna, now Prince. Watch out Madonna.

9. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

Spot. Freaking. On.

As much as we disagree, I'm completely with you here....

10. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

People associate the music and the person with a time in their lives. Yes, college guy might be 23, but Prince could still be a big part of his musical life. My kids know Prince because I listen to 80s music a lot. I know the Beatles, even though they broke up just as I was born.

While I am not wailing and gnashing my teeth as if I lost a good friend, I am still sad that he will no longer be giving us new music, that he was only 57 and that it reminds me of my own looming mortality.

11. Volgrad98

Volgrad98 Contributor

#twitterfollowerscountdamit

12. JohnnyQuickkick

also Bono, Cher, Drake, the list goes on and on

13. JohnnyQuickkick

my mother was a big fan of this obscure illustrationist/children's book author/all-around weirdo lady who was into Victorian and antique type stuff and whatnot, well, she died, and mom was pissed at me, my dad, and brother for about a week because we were apparently supposed to react as if grandma died

14. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I can understand somewhat of an attachment to an actor/actress or musician that you grew up watching or listening to, but I don't understand acting like they were your drinking buddies.

15. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Same here. I like the guy's music. I think he was a rare talent, and I hate he's gone. I'm not going to get choked up about it though.

16. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

I was more likely to care when I was younger. I think I hadn't seen enough actual bad shit to put these 'losses' in perspective.

17. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Oddly enough, I'm more likely to be affected by the death of a former head of state or royal than I am a musician or actor. I think I see greater history in it and use it as a moment to reflect / read up on some sliver of history associated with that person.

18. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

He was the wife's favorite. She's in full mourning mode.

Sge sent me a text to tell me. Here's my reply:

Well, I guess his party is over, oops, he's out of time....

I will enjoy my time sleeping on the couch for the next month.

19. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Prince was a towering talent. Rock 80s lost maybe its greatest today.

Made his own rules, his on music and his own way.

20. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Chyna is dead?