The General Tennis Thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by kidbourbon, Oct 24, 2011.

1. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

I actually like Federer. I also like Nadal. Not a huge fan of Andy Murray, though, and I can't really point to why.

2. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

I think somebody should punch him in the face.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. kidbourbon

4. kidbourbon

The fact that UT didn't win the NCAAs last year is just nonsense. Their top three are now in the top 300 in singles.

5. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

I'm starting to think if Fed can get by berdych/Del Potro (Del Potro's up 2 sets to 1) that he has a real shot at Djokovic. Djokovic looks vulnerable.

6. kidbourbon

On that note, how about a KB breakdown?

Two matches will be finished after being suspended because of the light:
    - Delpo will likely finish off Berdych, being up two sets to one. But Berdych came back from a set down against Kevin Anderson, so this isn't a done deal.

- Unfortunately, the dirty frenchmen Tsonga will likely finish off Wawrinka. I would love to be wrong.

So Djokovic will likely play Tsonga. He'll beat the poopy poop out of him.

Federer will likely play Delpo. Delpo has been been in better form this tournament than Fed, but Fed has had Delpo's number all year. I'll go with Fed in five, but I probably won't put any money on it.

Nadal will beat Monaco and then will beat the living dogshit out of either Almagro or Tipsarevic (likely tipsarevic).

Ferrer will beat the dirty sex out of Granollers. I think Gasquet/Murray is a coin flip. I like Ferrer against either guy, but I wouldn't be surprised if it goes to five. Of course, everything I've written in this paragraph is pretty much academic, as I don't think any of these four guys have a reasonable chance of taking out Nadal in semi. So, yeah, I'm putting Nadal in the final.

Djokovic will have a much more difficult time of it in the semifinal, no matter whether he plays Delpo, Fed, Berdych. Federer, in theory, presents him with the greatest challenge, but Fed just hasn't looked alive this tournament. Djokovic hasn't looked his best either, but has looked a touch more alive than Fed who just inexplicably keeps dropping sets to abject scrubs. Delpo has a puncher's chance against anyone, because he can just hit people off the court with his forehand, which is something akin to a [dadgum] cannon. But, again, Fed has had his number this year. So I'm not sure that he makes it that far. If it is Djoker/Fed, I have to favor Djoker even though he hasn't looked perfectly pristine. Why? Well, because Fed also hasn't looked perfectly pristine, and I think Fed needs to be at his best to beat Djoker in an outdoor five setter. I'd predict Djoker in four sets if that match comes to pass. Nadal will be, of course, rooting his ass off for Fed. It will be very tough for Djoker to beat Nadal in a five setter on clay. Federer, though, has proved beyond all doubt that he simply can't do it.

I realize that I lack imagination, but would anyone actually bet against it being a Djoker/Nadal final? If it is, I think Nadal will be favored and I think Nadal will win. The guy just brought his 'A' game to this tournament. I haven't seen him play -- and, more specifically, move -- like this since 2010.

Many of you might find the idea of Rafa winning at RG again rather boring. But I say enjoy it while you can. This is the greatest clay court player of all time -- with lots of mileage, yes, but methinks still in his prime -- who by all appearances is in peak form. Watching him dismantle guys is a thing of beauty, imho. He's just so [dadgum] intense. He won't give away a single point. He plays every point like he is broke.

7. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

Nadal looks like he's unbeatable. He's literally beating the [uck fay] out of everyone, and I don't see anyone really challenging him. Wouldn't be surprised to see Fed take out Del Potro in straights. He has literally annihilated him every time they've played this year, and you almost get the feeling Fed's been [uck fay]ing around thus far by losing focus and dropping sets to people he shouldn't. Obviously, now that he's through, I think mentally he'll be sharper, and as you said, Joker most likely will be too. Should be a hell of a semis if it works out on that side. On Nadal's side, I think he beats the shit out of whoever's in his path. He's got a chance of running through this whole thing without dropping a set, imo.

8. kidbourbon

He's done it twice before, so it's certainly possible. I'd be surprised if he dropped a set before the final. But if he plays Djoker in the final, I think he probably wins in 4. If he were to play Djoker and beat him in straight sets, he would deserve MAJOR props.

9. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

Fire Sam Winterbotham!

10. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

kid would be on my short list of replacements. Although, fear of a sex scandal could prevent hiring.

11. kidbourbon

The fact that Winterbotham landed both Williams and Sandgren in the same class is pretty remarkable. Granted, he had a decided advantage in recruiting both of them in that Williams was like a triple UT legacy (his mom played tennis at UT and his grandfather was the coach at UT for like 20 years and was also the co-founder of the Bolleteri tennis academy, interestingly), and Sandgren's older brother was already on the team. But still, they were the top two recruits in the country.

And it really isn't Winterbotham's fault that JP Smith choked in his singles match. Actually Sandgren choked as well. Tenessee lost to UGA in the quarters. The same UGA team they had already beaten twice that year, and just like two weeks before in the sEC championship.

It was a real bummer how that played out, but that team was SOLID.

12. kidbourbon

I assume you are referring to a sex scandal with a member of the girl's team? I think I might be okay so long as they didn't find out that I am kidbourbon on the 8th maxim.

Winterbotham won't get fired, but if he did, they would probably give the head job to the current assistant, Chris Woodruff. Who is the last UT player to win the NCAA singles competition.

13. kidbourbon

Ferrer rolled.
    Almagro rolled.
    Tsonga closed out the match against Wawrinka.
    Delpo closed out Berdych.

So we've got:
    Djoker vs. the dirty frenchman Tsonga.
    winner plays winner of
    Fed vs. Delpo

Ferrer vs. Gasquet/Murray
    plays the winner of
    Almagro vs. Monaco/Nadal (read: Almagro vs. Nadal (read: Nadal))

Fed vs. Delpo is easily the most intriguing matchup in the quarters. I'll definitely be catching that one.

14. hallowed_hill

It would hit the fan early when the girls team trotted out in their new uni's with "BALLS DEEP" printed across the butt.

15. hallowed_hill

Yep. It was a shame how it played out, both years. For as great of career as JP had, it was tough to see him lose to USC and then UGA, in addition to the two losses in ncaa doubles national championship matches.

16. kidbourbon

Balls deep actually makes sense in tennis. I might be able to get away with it.

17. kidbourbon

Rafa beat Monaco 6-2, 6-0, 6-0.

Monaco is #12 in the world, an excellent clay court player, and took a set off Djokovic two weeks ago in Rome. And Rafa just [penis] smacked him. Double bagel? In the quarters? Are you kidding me?

TGGRN is DIALED in, ladies and gentlemen. He's not losing.

18. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

I think Ferrer beats Murray in 4; Nadal rapes Almagro; Joker beats Tsonga in straights. Fed beats Del Potro in straights.

19. kidbourbon

I agree with your winners.

I'd be surprised if Delpo got beat in three. I wouldn't be surprised if Ferrer beat Murray in three. Djoker will very likely beat the dirty frenchmen in straight sets. And, of course, Nadal will violently sodomize Almagro. Viewer discretion is advised.

20. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

In the Del Potro match, I'm predicting that Fed plays sharper, and I think he's got a real mental edge against Del Potro right now, and Del Potro's knee is still a concern. My guess is that Delpo plays well but loses the first set 7-5 or in the breaker and then Fed cruises the last two sets after Delpo loses confidence.