The General Tennis Thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by kidbourbon, Oct 24, 2011.

1. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

Fed has certainly had his number recently.

2. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

Think Ferrer has any chance of stealing a set off of Rafa? He's playing excellent right now?

3. kidbourbon

I'd be shocked if Ferrer got a set off Rafa. I'd be willing to put down money that Rafa beats him in straight sets.

I have a lot of respect for Ferrer. He's a gamer. He always comes to play. He rarely loses to guys that he should beat. And, you're right, he is playing really well right now. But at the end of the day, he's really just a poor man's Nadal. There's really nothing that Ferrer can do to beat Nadal because everything that Ferrer does well just plays right into Nadal's hands.

The only way that Ferrer could get a set is if he is able to push one to a tiebreaker, and win the tiebreaker. But the way Nadal is playing right now, I don't see that happening. If they end up playiing, I think Nadal will win 6-4, 6-4, 6-2. Roughly.

4. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

That makes sense. Ferrer doesn't seem to be great at anything; rather, he just seems like he's solid at everything. That's good enough to beat a lot of guys, but not the top ones.

5. kidbourbon

I couldn't have said it any better.

6. kidbourbon

I'm calling ballgame. Fed's not coming back from a 2 set deficit.

7. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

I was dead wrong about both the Tsonga match and the Fed match although it does look like Fed has all the momentum now.

8. kidbourbon

I was totally wrong. Fed is about to win.

9. kidbourbon

Fed won.
    Djoker trying to hold serve to force a 4th set tiebreaker.

10. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

Must be an awesome match. I'm watching the CourtCast on ESPN, and he's saved like 5 match points.

11. kidbourbon

I was watching it on courtcast as well. I will have it on my DVR when I get home. I kinda like courtcast, actually.

Regarding Delpo match:
    - Did Delpo reaggravate the knee? He was completely in control of the match, and then the trainer comes out, and then Fed is beating the piss out of him. Something had to be up. I'm not saying Fed couldn't have come back from two sets down. He could have. But not to that extent against JMDP without some help from JMDP's knees. Bummer for delpo if so. Dude is always hurt. Hopefully it isn't too bad.

Regarding Djoker match:
    - I was on the edge of my chair watching the courtcast for teh 4th set tiebreak in the Djoker match. I had 150 on Djoker at -550. A loss would have sucked. And I knew knew knew knew knew that if he won that tiebreaker he would win the 5th set with a bagel or a breadstick. There was no doubt in mind. Dirty frenchmen don't fight on. Dirty frenchmen lay down and die. And plus Djoker is the better player, and when the inferior player gets that close to pulling off an upset and fails, it deflates. Especially if he is a [ussy pay] frenchman. But thank god for [ussy pay] frenchman, or I would have lost 825 instead of winning 150.

Thoughts:
    Rafa is licking his chops. This couldnt' have been drawn up any better for him. Djoker and Fed will battle it out. He'll drop less than 20 games in the next six sets and head into the final fresh and ready to get his Jerry Sandusky on.

12. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

It appears Del Po ran out of gas. Fed also played extremely well. His first serve percentage went way, way up, and he made virtually no errors in the last 3 sets. According to ESPN, there was no reaggravation of the injury; rather, they just said Del Po "slowed" as the match went on.

13. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

The mental toughness of Joker is kind of unbelievable. He was absolutely dead in the water in that match and pulled it out. It's hard to say who's playing better going into the semifinal matchup, he or Fed.

14. kidbourbon

Cahill, Gilbert, and P. Mac all mentioned on twitter during the match that he was having difficulty moving.

To his credit, Delpo didn't use it as an excuse, but it had to hurt him. He had to bring the trainer out twice.

15. kidbourbon

Probably not a reaggravation; more like a lot of pain. Or perhaps stiffness.

Delpo didn't simply run out of gas after two sets. He's played plenty of five setters before without hitting the wall (See, 2009 U.S. Open , for a particularly pertinent example).

16. kidbourbon

Neither are at the top of their game. Djoker grinded that match out with, as you said, toughness and guts. Last year Djoker would have won that match with relative ease, and had so much energy left over that he would have proceeded to give Tsonga's mom the ole' Rusty Trombone later on in the evening. But, still, pulling that 4th set out of his ass like that and then handing Tsonga a breadstick in the 5th is nothing to joke about. That's a big momentum/confidence boost.

Also, I can't say that Fed is that much off his game. Fed beat Delpo in the French Open semis' in 2009. With these scores: W 3-6, 7-6(2), 2-6, 6-1, 6-4. Not terribly dissimilar to what we saw today. And, like Djoker, Fed will come in with a great deal of momentum having finsihed so strong against Delpo. Hurt knee or not, bageling delpo in 21 minutes is serious business.

Should be a great match. Rematch from last year.

17. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

I wasn't meaning he just laid down and died. I was meaning he was tired enough to not be able to play at the level he was playing at in the first two sets.

18. kidbourbon

I don't think fatigue alone accounts for that kind of drop in play. Delpo isn't a guy that you see getting bageled a lot.

19. kidbourbon

Do the people on here that didn't grow up playing tennis understand the term "bagel"?

20. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

That's true. The knee definitely had something to do with it, and battling pain the whole match makes you that much more tired as well. But, I think it would be false to attribute it solely to an injury and not Fed's drastically improved play.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2012