The Reading Rainbow Book Thread

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by chavisut, Nov 20, 2011.

1. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Meant to ask, what kind of English class covers Ancient Greece, medieval Italy, pre Victorian England, and jazz age America? Such a strange combination.

2. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I've never read gatsby. Missed it in school somehow and just never have. May need to add it to this years list to read.

3. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

Talking with a buddy got my dander up to break out Heinlein's The Moon is a Harsh Mistress.

Been a great companion being bedridden for a few days. :)

4. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

It's short and it's really well-written. You need to get on that.

5. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I just didn't like Gatsby. Been a long time though. Maybe I should give it another go.

6. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

Gatsby is a favorite.

You can read it in a day Card.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2014
  7. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

World Lit.

Low level core.

8. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Interesting. Surprised to see something as complex as Dante on the list for a low level class. I've never understood why people stop after Inferno. If you haven't already, you should read the rest of it. Lots of connections come together in Purgatorio and Paradiso.

9. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I had 3 consecutive school years

10. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

I'm certainly in the minority, and there are a hell of a lot of critics and award committees that disagree with me. I simply hated The Road, which is all I've read and all I intend to read. I thought it was mushy, lazy, sentimental, and offered nothing not already seen by the likes of Waterworld, Mad Max, or Book of Eli, other than the fact that he wote it in non paragraphs containing non sentences.

11. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Just read Animal Farm for the first time since high school. Was a very quick read and I enjoyed it much more than when I was 16. I must be honest, my literary variety has been pathetic and now that I am older, and perhaps my palate has grown and aged a bit, I find that things that were dry and boring as a young man hold more sway on me now.

I am about to start The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn and look forward to it. And if I get really brave, I might actually attempt Moby [penis] again.

12. wildnkrazykat

wildnkrazykat Well-Known Member

Started The Witness Wore Red this morning, knocked out about 4 chapters. It's about the 19th wife in that big polygamy raid a few years back.

There are a plethora of books I haven't read that I feel like I should so eventually I'd like to do that. I've started the great gatsby but just can't get into it.

13. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Animal Farm is a good read. I'd like to read it again. I bought it bound with 1984. The plan was to finish 1984, which I've not read at all, and then reread Animal Farm. Unfortunately, I have lost the book somewhere while traveling (I think).

14. CardinalVol

Been looking for a nice easy read for nighttime during busy season and had forgotten about Gatsby. May download that and start tonight.

And I loved Animal Farm way back when, probably worth re-reading.

15. CardinalVol

Gub'mint took it IMO.

16. wildnkrazykat

wildnkrazykat Well-Known Member

Gatsby is frustrating me because I know I'd love the story.

17. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

If I'm right about where I left it, Fort Gordon was only a few blocks away. You could be onto something.

18. Lexvol

Lexvol Super Moderator

Read Suttree. It will not disappoint.

I've been into John Sandford lately. Love the Virgil Flowers character.

If you are into Elmore Leonard, I recommend Up In Honey's Room

19. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Been reading all of the Jack Reacher series by Lee Child because his version of justice fits my worldview.

20. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

That series is on my list. Has been for almost a year, just need to get to it.