The Reading Rainbow Book Thread

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by chavisut, Nov 20, 2011.

1. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Easy reading and fairly entertaining. Just when I think they've gotten a little formulaic, Childs does something a little different.

2. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

No, but I will.

3. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

When you do, start the 8th book club. I'll read it with you, and I'm sure there will be others.

4. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

If anyone wants a short but complex read, check out J.M. Coetzee's In the Heart of the Country. I wrote my 26 page senior seminar paper on it. It's a strange but fascinating little book.

5. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Sun also rises was the book I read again when I was older and really enjoyed.

6. kidbourbon

Wow, they've got resources and shit. This is amazing.* http://infinitesummer.org/archives/215

http://infinitesummer.org/archives/168

*And not all in a good way. I mean, did they really just suggest using a 512 page Infinite Jest reader's guide? AYFKM?**
    **Listen, I've read through page 100ish before losing momentum and putting it away for a later day, and so I can confirm that a few of the ideas -- keeping a list of characters, for example -- are not terrible. But reading a 512 page book to help you read a 981 page book with 200ish pages of endnotes...has there even been a more terrible idea in the history of the world?***

***Oh yeah:

[video=youtube;xRxqY4wuTHw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRxqY4wuTHw[/video]

7. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Love those books. I've read all of them except the newest one. I'm a fan of his 'you do bad shit, you die' approach.

8. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Started Gatsby last night.

9. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

Theodore Roosevelt's 10 Rules for Reading:

The guy probably read more books than all of us put together. Thought it interesting that a historian and scientist of the highest order like TR is so high on poetry and short stories. I was once advised that the best way to become a better preacher and speaker is to read great stories. Makes sense.

10. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I like his rules, thank you for sharing them.

11. tripper

tripper Member

I just finished The Devil in the White City. I've been spending a lot of time in Chicago lately, so it is a must read. Recommended.

12. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Yeah, poetry!

13. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Read that freshman or sophomore year. The architecture parts got a little long, but it was solid overall.

14. Lexvol

Lexvol Super Moderator

I've read every one with the exception of "The Persuader". My favorite of all was "Bad Luck and Trouble". I love Child's writing style. Sandford is the closest I've come to Child so far.

15. tripper

tripper Member

Buzzed through The Quiet American by Graham Greene for the 4th time. Always a good read. About to read The Power and the Glory.

16. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

reading the persuader now. the poor guy ends up in a lot of interesting situations for a wanderer just minding his own bi'ness.

17. kidbourbon

#3 is gospel.

18. wildnkrazykat

wildnkrazykat Well-Known Member

Cheated n watched the Gatsby movie. Won't read the book.

19. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I've never understood why people think it's such a great work of art.

20. wildnkrazykat

wildnkrazykat Well-Known Member

Idk, I wasn't even that engaged in the movie.