The Section YY6 Postgame Report.

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by hatvol96, Oct 1, 2011.

1. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

It's a valid point, because they were looking for anything to complain about. However, I also know I've heard there were issues last year, to the point that he has acknowledged it is something he has to work on. Not sure.

2. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Ok. Must have happened after I left and before I got to the car. We left with 8 to 10 to go. Makes a lot more sense now.

3. TennTradition

That's what I hear. Of course, I also heard that he put too many on the ground.

Who knows, though...three or so fumbles in the last half of the season may be enough to get people worried among those who are going to his games and looking toward his Tennessee career...not sure.

4. TennTradition

Haha...happened at about the 8:40 mark. Must have just missed it.

5. TennTradition

I was very happy with what I saw with his returns. The fumble could be an issue, but I want him out there. If it becomes a negative, then we'll make a change. He's the best shot that we have at an active return game, IMO.

I'll be interested to see what Hat thinks made the return game worse with him in it. We've already had fumbles this year, so I don't see why Young is necessarily worse given his returns were better.

6. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

LSU had Billy Cannon who won the heis man that year. Tenn was pretty bad and I think lost every game after upsetting them in Neyland.

7. CardinalVol

Really the only player I had a gripe with today was jacques smith. The td run was on him as were a couple of other times on containment.

8. TennTradition

That's not the first time J. Smith has done that this year.

9. TennTradition

Dooley seemed to be pretty happy with Devrin in the return game, but of course was not happy about the fumble. In his post game "basically" said...

"Devrin had 2 good returns, but put the ball on the ground and dropped another. He put the ball on the ground because a guy came up behind him and dropped one because he was afraid he was going to get hit. But, he had 2 good returns and gives us energy and hopefully will give the guys blocking energy. But, he's got to hold onto the ball. Now you all know why I had him walking around all week carrying the ball. Apparently it didn't help. Well...maybe it did help. He may have fumbled 5 times today if I didn't do that."

10. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Teams will use his aggressiveness against him. Once the lbs get a little seasoning it won't be so glaring. You trade that for his pass rushing.

11. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Brantley - Sr
    Rainey - Sr
    Demps - Sr

Give us Hunter the entire game and subtract Brantley with a season ending knee injury on their first play and we win.

12. VOLinDAWGland

VOLinDAWGland Contributor

Interesting. Body type and size reminds me more of Terrell Owens. Rison was built more like a 5'11" RB which is what he was before converting to WR. Rison ran great routes and was tough, but not known for speed. Da'Rick actually has some jets and is big and tough with the occasional drop...all very Owenish.

13. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

Watch the routes Rogers does most of his damage on. They're the same ones Rison made a living running in the NFL.

14. CardinalVol

I played d end from 7th grade to senior year. I just get angry when they don't keep containment when it is their responsibility on the play. Too indoctrinated in me.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

By "keeping containment," is one referring to staying on the outside shoulder of the blocker, so one would be able to release and pursue a ball carrier coming to the outside, or is it something else?

16. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Theory is, your end contains the edge and forces the ball back to the middle where you have the most help (LBs). UF got outside our DEs and our LBs (nor anyone elses) are going to run them down on the edge. But forcing them to cut back into your help negates the speed.

Bama's DEs held the edge and forced Rainey and the other UF speedsters back into the middle where they were eatin.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

How do you hold the edge? Staying on the outside of the blockers, or what?

18. TennTradition

If I'm not mistaken, on the primary play in question, Jaques Smith just crashed inside, instead of maintaining an outside presence to force the play back inside. It wasn't so much not playing the block correctly, the play sucked him inside where he was in no position to make the play to the outside.

19. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

And Im not totally up on what was going on behind him, but if we are lined up for him to set the edge and he don't , the LBs and DBs are out of position to make the play. The are situations where he crashes inside, most of those involve a LB or S being to his outside.

20. VOLinDAWGland

VOLinDAWGland Contributor

A combo Terrell Rison...physically looks like Terrell, runs routes like Rison...not a bad combination actually.