The Stock Market Thread

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by golfballs03, Oct 28, 2011.

1. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

So I'm reading "The Intelligent Investor" by Benjamin Graham.

He is kind of a downer, but an interesting read.

2. CitrusCo.Vol

CitrusCo.Vol Member

I have not read it, but the Motley Fool highly recommends it. Buffet has referred to the book as being the best ever written about investing.

3. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Index funds. Bonds. Pay off your house. Control your debt.

Won't get you rich, but getting rich is for the risk takers. I prefer getting enough to live on and enjoying my life without worrying about losing everything on a bad day!

4. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I'm still waiting to see how things go when the fed stops giving away money. The market seems inflated as hell.

5. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Channeling your inner Buffet I see.

6. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

low-cost index funds is one of the best ways of getting rich for the average person.

7. NorrisAlan

Perhaps rich is the wrong word. Wealthy. I am not after wealth, not my bag.

8. CardinalVol

Yup. A great tool for building wealth. You can and should get more sophisticated as you get more, but for the average Joe, there's no better way.

9. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Like Earnhardt memorabilia, state quarter collections, and beanie babies.

10. CardinalVol

Don't forget stamps IMO.

11. NorrisAlan

Through my life, I have shaken my head at the following:

Comic books
    baseball cards
    beanie babies
    Kinkaid Paintings
    Housing Market
    .com market

How people can keep falling for the same shit over and over is beyond me.

12. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

No Kunstler?

13. CardinalVol

I'm semi-guilty of the baseball card thing. I don't "invest" in them, they are just one of those things I think are cool.

I can see the story lines of comic books being appealing.

Housing/.com, that's just looking to make a quick buck that sales people have figured out how to use to manipulate idiots.

For the others, yeah.

14. CardinalVol

I also don't get people who swear by gold over the long-haul. All it's good for is to turn a short-term profit when the market is down. Hopefully I'll have some cash to take advantage of this next time around.

15. NorrisAlan

I am talking about investing in them. I have comic books and collected cards when i was a wee lad. But I knew a guy that would spend 100's of dollars buying boxes for "rare" cards. All because he thought he would be rich off them in 10 years. The comic book collapse in the 90's was the same thing.

And it is all a get-rich-quick thing, where the people that start it, get in early and manipulate it make a killing. The people getting in late get left holding the bag and lose their life's savings.

I just shake my head how people cannot see this.

Gold is another one, Card. It has industrial value, but in the modern world, it is only "valuable" when people panic. For me, twice now, the stock market has "tanked" to 1/2 its value, and I sit there wishing I had a buttload of cash to throw into my index funds at that time. buy buy buy. But I am never liquid enough to do that :(

16. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

this man says the truth. it's not a coincidence that buffet's returns are 1/3 of what they were 30 years ago. the days of buying stocks below cash per share are long long gone.

17. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

it's a fear hedge. that's it.

18. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

Exactly. When the market tanks I love the ability to buy cheap; I look at it as an opportunity - especially when retirement is distant.

19. CardinalVol

There's part of me that doesn't want to put another penny into retirement right now and just save it all up until the next recessions hits and buy all at once. I'm not going to, but part of me wants to.

20. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

+1