The Stock Market Thread

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by golfballs03, Oct 28, 2011.

1. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

Guilty pleasure of mine.

Beanie Babies one cracks me up. I had a former friend who was a get quick rich guy. He poured thousands into Beanie Babies.

Later on he inherited a decent amount of land rural kentucky and his master plan was to develop it into a golf course.

So what money he did inherit, he blew trying to clear the land.

2. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I have some old baseball cards that were my dad's. Hank Aarron 1954 Topps rookie- Yogi Berra '55 Bowman- Mickey Mantle '55 Bowman- Hank Aarron '55 Tops X 2- Bob Lemon '55 Topps Rookie etc.

3. OrangeEmpire

That is awesome, have you had them graded?

4. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

That's big time risk/reward, although you know the recessions are inevitable. As I grow closer to retirement I know I have to be more risk averse, but it's sort of difficult to do.

As an aside, I was astounded how some people responded when the market tanked back in 2008. Their response was to talk about selling/geting out, and I know some did. Crazy.

5. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I love land.

6. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I think it was crazy how the dollar store and dollar general stock blew up then

7. JayVols

No.

The Mantle is rough. I asked dad why & he said that he was his favorite player and probably carried it around in his pocket. The Aaron rookie is in pretty good shape & one of his '55 cards is in excellent shape as is the Bob Lemon Rookie. The Berra card is in good shape too. Those '55 Bowman was the series were the ones that the border looks like a wooden console TV. Pretty neat, imo. I don't think I could ever sell them now because of their sentimental value, but they're there if I need them. Not going to get rich, but....

I still have a '71 $25 US Savings Bond my dad bought for me the day I was born. It matured 12 years ago, but I can't cash it in. It's worth @ $150 now. So, it's not like I'm sitting on a fortune.

8. JayVols

I love my land.

9. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

if you have an idea when the next market crash will hit please let me know and i'll give you a nice finders fee while I make my clients and myself millions. my partner though has accurately predicted every major market crash for 40 years. his problem is he gets back in too late.

10. OrangeEmpire

Don't blame you one bit, it is only money.

11. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

It's risk/reward, but you know it's going to happen. Economy is cyclical. Always. People thought I was crazy when I told them I wish I had a ton of money to put in back in 08. Still wish I did.

I've probably got 32 year minimum until I retire. I can still be relatively risky.

12. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I can't wait till our house sells.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
  13. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

They're not making any more.

14. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

At some auctions you can get a steal

15. JayVols

Will you throw your 8th buddies a bone? You'll get your commission.

16. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

we know we are well overdue for a 20% correction. but we were well overdue for it 12 months ago before the market went up 25% too.

17. JayVols

I came very close to selling it all during my medication crisis but was spared that.

18. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I told people on vn that the market was going to tank in 07. I also said the gold market was a massive bubble. of course the gold price is about flat from when I made that prediction (went up 40%, then down 40%). if you are talking about my partner, he says the indicators he follows are the most negative he's seen, but he's currently buying stocks so beats the S out of me.

19. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Really no place to put money so trying to play the market out till the Fed money stops driving the train

20. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Like 53 said, as long as the fed is giving cheap money, we're going to keep going up. It'll come crashing down soon enough.