This May Be Stupid But...

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by LawVol13, Feb 16, 2014.

1. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

show cause doesn't mean you can't get hired. means they have to "show cause" to hire him.

2. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

right but why give it to him if you're gonna let him go get a tier 1 job after a year?

3. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

We lost to TAMU at home. I'm not penciling in six wins.

4. kidbourbon

This is one of those frustrating situations where I have no choice but to root against Tennessee. Actually, it's not so bad. I just don't watch the games.

5. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

I think you are misunderestimating the ease with which Cheek can say, "The NCAA made me do it. Now that's past. Happy Marriage again."

FTR, I think the probability is that 1) Martin stays and 2) when he ultimately is released, we replace him with somebody from Indiana St or Murray.

6. kidbourbon

I like this guy. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_White_(basketball)*

*He's one of my dozen or so "14 year old with a wifi connection" coaching candidates. More to come.

7. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

8. justingroves

justingroves supermod

His dad is the ad at Duke. I'm sure Cutcliffe has sent a letter of recommendation

9. kidbourbon

Yeah, Donnie Tyndall passed the 14 year old's criteria as well. Why is it that he's so disliked on this board? He seems to be doing quite well.

10. kidbourbon

He's only 36 as well. I think that's a huge plus. The criteria used by the 14 year old in question didn't give extra points for being young, but it did scratch anybody over 55 off the list. While I realize in certain circumstance that might be a "dumb" rule, that's the whole idea behind my "14 year old kid with wifi" coaching search experiment. Make your criteria as brainless and straightforward as possible, don't talk yourself into making exceptions, and then when you look at your final list of candidates and you see a pretty solid list, it makes you wonder how anybody could fock up a CBB coaching search.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

KB is blowing my mind. This is so simple but it is working. Kind of reminds me of making stock moves based on trending terms in google.

12. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

I just haven't seen Tyndall ever do anything extraordinary. He had an NBA player on his roster in the OVC, so that helped his record there.

13. kidbourbon

Ha! I've heard of worse strategies.

14. kidbourbon

GW's coach made my list. Mike Lonergan.

15. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

Your theory just detonated. Lonergan will be one of the next big mistakes made by someone in a power conference.

16. Volnbama

Volnbama Contributor

I don't know anything about the guy but could you explain why you think that? He's had a good record everywhere he's been

17. hatvol96

1. How many guys out of the America East have ever gone on to do anything meaningful?
    2. He's in a weaker A-10 than Mike Jarvis, Tom Penders, and Karl Hobbs coached in and he has yet to accomplish anything close to what they did. Mike Lonergan is a commodity cheese version of John Giannini.

18. hatvol96

Of course, it hasn't spit out Buzz Peterson yet, so your theory is more effective than having Doug Dickey do a coaching search.

19. kidbourbon

I'm not inclined to zealously defend a guy whose name I learned two days ago, but I'm not sure i agree with your rationale The American East surely blows, but that doesn't mean he blows.

20. kidbourbon

I'm killing all the suspense by leaking the names of my candidates* but on the subject of the A10, I should note that Mr. Smart made the cut -- I already know how you feel about him -- and Jim Crews was about to make the cut until I ixnayed him based on age. I'd never even heard of the guy (crews) before two days ago. What do you think about him?

*I'm joking. I realize nobody cares.